things you learned about yourself @ youmacon

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our second year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

mgperkow
Server Administrator
First Anime: Fruits Basket

Postby mgperkow » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:33 pm

TangerineDreamFiend wrote:i knew about otaku i just thought anime was sort of cool its too bad people cant like something without being put into a stereotype like otaku dork or whatever its stupid how the japanese look down on someone who buys a dvd of an anime and calls that person an otaku. however maybe it was just me but the majority of the people there where real dorky i spoke to some people and who buys a half naked picture of sephroth? **** how depressing

What you're saying here is rife with what are often referred to as "loaded words." That is, the meaning of those words tends to carry a significance to many people beyond the simple definition of those words, and the use of those words triggers an emotional response for many people. Most notably, I would point out your use of the word "dork." When I originally responded to your post, I assumed the definition of "dork" as it has been used to refer to me more than once in my lifetime: someone whose interests are unpopular in comparison to a significant percentage of a particular group of people (a club, a subculture, society, etc.). However, as it is often used, dork can carry many meanings in common expression. Some people use it to refer to people who are either very intelligent or very unintelligent. Some use it to refer to people who are unusually interested in academics or science. It also frequently comes up in reference to those whose behavior is considered "strange" by some specific group. Some use it as I mentioned, to highlight those whose interests are "different." And finally, some use the word simply to highlight people who are different from themselves in some way. Basically, I discern your post as an indication that the people you met at one of your first anime conventions were not quite what you expected. Actually, that seems to be a very common experience for many people who haven't met a great many other fans. Fans come in all shapes and sizes (physically and psychologically). Some of them have only a passing interest in anime, and some are as dedicated to it as some might be to their significant other. But I would say that the majority of fans eventually learn to take a certain amount of pride in their fandom, which is probably the "dorkiness" you are talking about.

TangerineDreamFiend

Postby TangerineDreamFiend » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:36 pm

i see well that is true what you say i just thought that anime was a little different then sci fi and star wars you see. im still gonna like some of it. but i sure have chilled out a bit. has anyone been to a different con and noticed that most the fans are similar?

KittyChanDesu

Postby KittyChanDesu » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:04 pm

I learned:

1-I listen more to people i dont know well than to people i know well
2-Tifa was not as original a costume as i thought itd be >>
3-trying to figure out some cosplayers gender is futile
4-Stuffed Piggys CAN rape people
5-Lulu Belts are annoying to fix, especially with people wanted to take said Lulus picture
6-the AMV contests are always amusing
7-Dont blow all your money without getting food even though you know better
8-Posing with my Lulu friend is fun :]
9-Dont have stupid poses
10-Be more creative than this year :]

ngsilver
Fan Art Theater DH
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Postby ngsilver » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:10 am

KittyChanDesu wrote:6-the AMV contests are always amusing

Especially when they are delayed due to technical difficulties and the coordinator has to entertain a packed room for 45 mins...

LeeFan2012

Postby LeeFan2012 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:12 am

In Gekitou Ninja Taisen I'm nothing without Lee's 8 gates... ._.;; got my **** whooped badly.
I also learned that if I cosplay I can get hugs... :3
Labeled as the "Free Hugs Rock Lee"
--Member of Live Action Mario Party '06 winning team! Team Hentai!--
[2009 Cosplay]
Rock Lee
Kaoru

EmoSasuke

Postby EmoSasuke » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:11 am

Things I Learned:

1) Shikamaru cosplayers are cool, but Stripper!Shikamaru pwns all of them. ;) ("If you guys weren't such lazy asses, I wouldn't have to do this!")
2) I may have a slight obsession with Roxas (the one with the yaoi paddles). I'm sorry! I hope I didn't scare you! You were just really cute, and had a great costume, and I couldn't help it. >_>
3) Cosplay Seifers do exist!! Though they don't seem to take kindly to hugs from Squalls.
4) I'm glad I'm not your stereotypical fangirl. And I'm glad that I (hopefully) wasn't like that when I first got into anime.
5)It's hard to be in character when the character is emo - I don't want to come off as mean to people.
6)Even emo characters get glomped.
7) It is entirely possible to run for three days straight on nothing but caffeine, sugar, and adrenaline.

I think that's all.
<b>Animosity Cosplay </b>
Possible Youma 2009 Cosplays
- Halloweentown! Leon [Kingdom Hearts]
- Naoto Fuyumine [DOGS]
- Sailor Jupiter [PGSM]

moogleboy64

Postby moogleboy64 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:53 pm

1. Going to a con in costume can be a completely different experience than going in normal clothes.
2. Cosplayers get hugs. With or without signs. :)
3. Raptor Jesus can eat freaking Cheez-Its through his mask.
4. Cons can be fun even if you don't go to a single panel.
5. I can feel closer to total strangers at a convention than to people I've known for years.
6. I can't resist hugging someone with a "free hugs" sign. :oops:
7. Making friends is easy when you're wearing a sombrero. Or something.

thefrozendestiny

Postby thefrozendestiny » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:01 am

1. Not enough people know who flik is.
2. Apparantly Raptor Jesus enjoys eating gendo ikari
3. liquid nitrogen icecream tastes like a cold bad granola bar...ich
4. You get really weird looks from a maid cafe waitress in the halls if you think she was really good and give her a 40 dollar tip between you and your friend. (if that was you I hope I didn't creep you out but you deserved to get that much!)
5. I am getting too old to goto con dances...at least until they have been going on till very late at night.
6. People can't recognize me from the day before if I shave my beard off to change cosplays.
7. For a small con Youmacon is amazing
8. People at smaller cons are much more approachable and friendly than bigger cons...or maybe its just youma =)
One True Love: AMV Competition Youmacon 06.
Cosplay 06: Fri: gendo Ikari
Sat: Flik (suikoden 2)
Cosplay 07: Fri-Sun Roy Mustang (with/without overcoat, Pool Side, Suit Version)

lunaslayer13
Operations Staff
First Anime: Ranma 1/2

Postby lunaslayer13 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:30 am

things it learned.

1. To remember to eat and drink cuz if i don't i could die
2. For some reason if you run around alot on staff, co goer want pictures with you (it was cute, i like it)
3. All cosplayers that are ninja are ready to kick butt
4. people like signs..... if you make one people will like and hug you.
5. All staffer are ninja, we take training trips together.
6. I am the only girl who doesn't like yaoi ( well i am sure there are others but they were hard to find)
7. I don't like lettuce or tomato on sandwichs but when i am hunary it doesn't matter.
8. don't walk in to the hentai iron editor if you never watch hentai before.
9. " no sora donal and goofy are not gay for you"
10. Now my brother will never play kingdom hearts
11. I love my fellow staffer
"Why are you so crazy?"
Mario to Toad

merrylittleman

Postby merrylittleman » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:38 pm

i learned how to kiss someone with my hand over there mouth. hehe :lol:

*~ShadowRosekasumi~*

Postby *~ShadowRosekasumi~* » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:11 pm

I learned Michigan doesn't suck as bad as I thought it did, since there are tons of anime fans (though none live around me ><)

I also learned I can be a lot more social than I portrayed myself as. I mean, my friends ditched me halfway through the con, and I ended up making a ton of new friends whom I spent a lot of time with at the con ^^

Puruto-chan

Postby Puruto-chan » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:37 pm

hmm. That things I learned?

1. Fangirls are scary. I'd like to apologize to those I've scared as a fangirl in the past. *hangs head*

2. Stalking me and interrupting my conversations or not letting them leave to go to the bathroom just because I make a cute Chibi Gaara is not okay.

3. Youmacon is teh sex on a stick.

4. Sleeping is for the weak. Particularly with 18+ Mario Party is happening.

5. Cosplaying as a well-recognized and kawaii character is dangerous. Fangirls and Fanboys tend to sqee a lot.

6. Actually having my picture taken is nice and worth crazy fangirls.

7. Artists can stay awake as long as they are still selling stuff.

8. Some people just need better wigs, or learn how to travel with them. I offer my services.

~Puruto-chan<3

P.S. See some of you in a few weeks at Ohayocon!
Youmacon is my last con for a while. Silly study abroad and archaeology fieldwork for stealing con time away!

Doing it all in the name of fanfiction and cosplay since 1987.

Kaiser Hound
Volunteering ADH

Postby Kaiser Hound » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:13 am

I learned that gophering is a blast (Long live the Roughnecks!)
Also I learned that there are other Tekkaman Blade fans out there, and that gives me hope for the future.

cattycat

Postby cattycat » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:39 pm

I have also learned that Akatsuki are taking over the world! Also, when it comes to pirates and ninjas, pirates are beating the ninjas!

Edit: I have also learned to be a Narutard. How did I learn? Because if you don't like Naruto you are basically out of it!
Okay! I am 100% confirmed that I will be going to Youmacon one way or another. Look for me as Ana from Earthbound Zero and Splash Woman from Megaman 9 while you are there.

ubersaurus

Postby ubersaurus » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:55 pm

Not so much a learning thing, but it did reinforce the notion that I'm much less an anime fan than I considered myself in comparison to the bulk of people there.

I learned that Kaylee cosplayers are hot, that Lou Albano was in the Sicilians, that if you just stand up against a wall people will start to line up around you, and that some of the most fun to be had at a convention is simply sitting in the hotel lobby at 2 am watching Futurama on the wall tv with some drunk off their **** friends.
"The drums, the drums, the drums, the never-ending drumbeat. Open me, you human fool. Open the light and summon me and receive my majesty! "

"Two minutes to Belgium!"

Return to “2006 Memories”