Youmacon 2006 Feedback Thread

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our second year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

MagiusT
Vice Con Chair / Live Programming DH

Postby MagiusT » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:40 pm

ReiTheJelly wrote:This is the smallest convention I've ever attended, so maybe my perspective on things is a little warped. I'm used to cons like Otakon and Anime Expo, that have 40,000+ attendance. :wink:

(3) More about cosplay: I only attended the convention on Friday, so I was a little disappointed that Friday's Hall Costume Contest winners were going to be announced on Saturday. Will they ever be posted online? I was just wondering, since none of the entrants were asked for their e-mail addresses, or anything. And I'd really like to know if some people that I met on Friday won for their division. :)

(5) The Spoony Bards. While I *really* enjoyed listening to their music...they were loud. So loud that it was impossible to hear anything if you were in the lobby or on the balcony. And since many events were scheduled to meet on the balcony, this seems like a bad combination. I know that the Ice Breaker group had to move to a new location because nobody could hear anything. Perhaps they can be given a room next year, where weary con-goers can go to relax with the music?

(8*) I couldn't tell who the staff were. Normally at cons, people wear brightly colored shirts, or reflective vests. Maybe y'all are just ninjas, but I didn't see a single staff member at all on Friday.

First of all those numbers you mention for Otakon are impossible as they cap at 25k attendance and they only hit about 23k last year. Expo is still around ~30k in the numbers. I'll answer some of the questions.

3. It would have been nearly impossible to announce winners for the hall cosplay on Friday. Not only did it not end until 10pm, but we take both entrants from Friday and Saturday into consideration for a good chunk of the awards. The email thing was an oversite and will be on the form next year. Also the winners will be posted soon.

5. We considered giving the Spoony Bards a room this year, but there simply wasn't any open rooms in our current location.

8. Believe me, we were all over the place on Friday. A few of us are infact ninjas ;)

ReiTheJelly

Postby ReiTheJelly » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:51 pm

MagiusT wrote:Expo is still around ~30k in the numbers.

Actually, AX beat its previous record with 40,647 people in attendance for 2006. But yeah...I haven't been to Otakon in a bit, so I'd forgotten how tiny they were in comparison. Only 22,302 attendees in 2006.

MagiusT wrote:3. It would have been nearly impossible to announce winners for the hall cosplay on Friday. Not only did it not end until 10pm, but we take both entrants from Friday and Saturday into consideration for a good chunk of the awards. The email thing was an oversite and will be on the form next year. Also the winners will be posted soon.

Cool. I was a bit confused when no one asked for contact info, since I only attended for one day.

MagiusT wrote:5. We considered giving the Spoony Bards a room this year, but there simply wasn't any open rooms in our current location.

Good to know that y'all are on top of things. I do understand that your current location at the Hilton is not as large as more expensive hotels would be.

MagiusT wrote:8. Believe me, we were all over the place on Friday. A few of us are infact ninjas ;)

You guys really *must* be ninjas, then! Because I seriously didn't see anybody that wasn't obviously manning a booth/info desk. But like I said before, it was a good thing, too. :)

youjik33
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Postby youjik33 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:11 am

Haha, I actually thought the Spoony Bards weren't loud ENOUGH!
Youmacon 2011 cosplay: Aveline Vallen (Dragon Age 2)

Panels:
Do You Dream In Anime? (Sunday, 12 noon, Panel 2)
Lost in Translation ( Sunday, 3 pm, Panel 4)

ChibiMizuTenshi

Postby ChibiMizuTenshi » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:11 am

Not sure if this was mentioned yet or not…

I loved the Masquerade, but felt it could’ve been organized/structured better by separating the skits from the walk-on‘s. After a really good skit, watching a random walk on was rather disappointing, regardless of how nice the costume was.

Flower Girl

Postby Flower Girl » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:55 am

This was my first convention and I thought it was a great experience for me! :) I think there are only two suggestions I could make:

1. Have the Dealers Room open longer on Saturday. 5:00 p.m. seems a little too early since Youmacon seems to have the highest attendance on Saturday.

2. Have a small part of the hall between the Dealers Room and Artist Alley sectioned off for people who want to take random photos of cosplayers. I heard some people suggest this at the con, but I agree. It was a bit difficult finding empty space to take good pictures of someone when there were so many people walking back and forth.

Other than that, I think the con was managed really well. I do admit, though some have complained, I really like the Spoony Bards right at the entrance to the hotel. It was a nice welcome all day long. :)
Youmacon 2009:
Quistis (SeeD) - Saturday

Youmacon 2006: Aeris - FF7
Youmacon 2007: Elena - FF7

mgperkow
Server Administrator
First Anime: Fruits Basket

Postby mgperkow » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:48 am

The dealer room was open until 6 PM on Saturday. And part of the consideration for closing at 6 PM is because the masquerade starts at 7 PM.

(7) The dealer's room was tiny. And full of American merchandise. Hardly anything Japanese. I can walk into any Borders and purchase almost all of what was in that room. It...wasn't special. Perhaps it can be mentioned to the dealers that they should bring a wider variety of items? (since I realize that there is really nothing the con staff can do about this particular problem) And would it be possible to have a second dealer's room, so that more dealers can attend?

Since we have limited space to deal with, our philosophy is to cover our bases before moving on to the exotic. My impression from the vendors we hosted was that their sales were pretty good over the weekend. What that tells as (as we were pretty much aware before) is that although some people attend a con looking for unique, hard-to-find things, the majority of people are looking for DVDs, manga, collectibles, and the like. The vendors we had in attendance brought what they had to sell, and many of them were accepted in part because of the types of merchandise they sell. We have to cover the basics first, and by the time we're done doing that, there isn't much space left for extras. No, I'm pretty certain that a second dealer room isn't an option. First of all, we have no place at this particular facility to put it, and secondly, I don't think I have the staff (or the stamina) to run two rooms at once ;-)

la_toute_petite

Postby la_toute_petite » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:55 am

I had a great time at Youmacon, this year - things have really improved since last year! But, there are still a few kinks to be worked out, which is to be expected.

I wish the masquerade would have introduced the cosplayers before they appeared, or as they appeared. It was sort of sad when some of the more obscure cosplayers came up, received zero response, and then walked off stage. I would have liked it, too, if all the skits had been grouped together.

The maid cafe should have definitely been Friday through Saturday - or at least Saturday. It was the day when the most people seeemed to show up, and it would have been nice.

The panels were great, so don't get me wrong. But, they seemed unorganized. I'm not expecting a pre-planned lecture, but the awkward silences were, well, awkward. Maybe those in charge of the panels could write up a list of general questions to keep the ball rolling?

More organized group photo shoots would have been nice. I arrived too late in the day to participate in the FMA shoot, and saw some other people on Saturday night (Sloth & Gluttony) that would have been great to have pictures of. Maybe one shoot in the morning, one in the evening for some of the larger cosplay groups?

But, other than these very small things, I have nothing else to say. I had such a great time, and I can hardly wait for Youmacon '07!

bar1scorpio
Artists' Alley ADH
First Anime: Robotech

Postby bar1scorpio » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:00 am

Gaming Room - I have to remember to bring my Steel Battalion. I also need to remind Tony that I have a switcher thing there so multiple game systems can be plugged into one TV. Hm.. I also have a commodore 64 monitor. It's clunky, 13 inches, but you can plug any 3-port cable into it. So there's another system in play.
Gaming room also needs box cutters or wire snips.

Con Suite - Bring that Ramen Noodle cookbok that i got as a gift. heh. Nice surprise to make those "wacky" dishes in the books aimed at college students.

Pre-Masquerade.... seriously, the need script approval.

Duct tape for the Yaoi fangirls.
"The world can be saved by steam!" - Professor Steamhead

"TANSTAAFL -There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!" - Robert Heinlen

Hikaru0
Artists' Alley DH
First Anime: Vampire Hunter D

Postby Hikaru0 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:37 am

la_toute_petite wrote:The maid cafe should have definitely been Friday through Saturday - or at least Saturday. It was the day when the most people seeemed to show up, and it would have been nice.

sadly, unless mountains are magically moved, a trustworthy staff who is willing to wait on people for free can be secured, and I am given a supply of energy that will never deplete, we'll probably continue to only have the maid cafe on friday. Maybe go on for longer on friday depending on what arrangements we can secure next year. If the future Saturday's are like this year's saturday, there's just going to be too much to do, and people are going to be upset that some other event they wanted to attend on saturday will be going on at the same time as the cafe.

Saix

Postby Saix » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:12 am

I would have to agree on the 'announcing people' next year. It was confusing to tell who was who, even more so back in the Green Room where we had to wait for our turn to go on. Better audio equipment then a hookup to a single speaker feed would be nice. People like to talk, it is human nature, and hearing over them with that small speaker is a pain.

Another thing, perhaps putting the skits and the walk-ons seperately would be better. It was confusing to have 5 walk ons, then a skit, then more walk ons. Just a suggestion on my part.

I apologize if our skit 'Cheaters Never Prosper' ( the one where Xemnas and Sai'x argued that Sora cheated and then had to guess what was on Roxas' paper ) was offensive to anyone. We didn't mean for it to offend everyone and we kept it PG-13 related as much as we could. I believe it stayed within those standards for atleast our skit. But if anyone was offended such as younger children, I do apologize.
Constantly talking is not necessarily communicating..

Kaorte

Postby Kaorte » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:41 am

I was in artists alley most of the time. But I did notice a few things:
The "Youmaconga" got kind of annoying for alot of the artists. People were trying to look at our table, and then 400 people marched through...
also, masquerade was an hour late, so i ended up not going. I herd from a few people that the masquerade was not very good and that there were too many yaoi skits (which i know the con cant really control).
I really liked that gaming and AA was open all the time. Oh yeah, and the elevators were nearly broken and were opening between floors. that scared the **** out of me. Oh, and does anyone know the results for the hall cosplay? I am really curious.
Word. :D
I am totally going as Nyu/Lucy from Elfen Lied this year :D
Exited desu!

mgperkow
Server Administrator

Postby mgperkow » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:44 am

We are aware of the numerous complaints regarding the "Youmaconga" thing and also the incidents that damaged the elevators. The elevator-stomping is a definite no-no, but at first most of us didn't take any action toward the conga line because we didn't want to seem like we were out to ruin everyone's fun. However, if that activity causes problems for many others, then it's not fair to let 30 people cause a commotion that ruins the convention for hundreds of others.

Gaysuke

Postby Gaysuke » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:40 pm

i just want to make a comment about the skits...because it seems like a lot of people are complaining that it wasnt PG-13 and that there was too much yaoi. Frankly, i didnt find anything to be over PG-13..but maybe thats just me? I dont know. Anyways, I dont think people should be complaining about skits that were done. They obviosly wanted to do them and put work into them and I think if people want to see something different they should get off their bums and do it themselves. There werent very many skits anyways, so maybe if the people complaining would do some, there would be more of a variety...just a thought.

edit:
also, to address the complaints about the youmaconga, i was in it and it was a lot of fun, a lot of people enjoyed it, but i think next year it should just not be taken into the artist alley, because i dont think people realized that it was being so disruptive. other than that, i believe it was just good clean fun : )
Cosplaying Mamimi!

^____^ <3

Puruto-chan

Postby Puruto-chan » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:25 pm

Okay. Here I go.

1. I loved a musical guest last year and was very disapointed when there wasn't one this year. However, that I already discussed prior to the con with guest relations.

2. The con suite is totally hot. Keep it. Forever. The way it is. Food is good.

3. Loved the AA hours (non-existant) and my friend who had a table loved it, too.

4. I was bored on Friday. I just couldn't find anything to do that interested me so I wandered the entire time. There was the maid cafe, for a couple hours but I didn't go because my friend had arrived during the free time and I had to help her get into costume (Which I blame on her, not the con for obvious reasons). However, if it could have lasted just an hour longer, that would have helped. From what I can tell, others want better hours, too, but all liked the concept.

5. Mario Party After Dark was the hottest thing to ever come to a convention... ever. ... Hmm. That could fill up a Friday night easily if and would be a little earlier so I wouldn't be dead by the time it was over. Then the dance could go longer, too. ^_^

6. Everything I disliked about the Dealer's Room has been discussed already. If anything should be improved, better selection of goodies and screening of the dealer's so that there is a variety and um... anime related... would be welcomed (Don't know if you already do this or not, but it didn't seem like it). Of course, longer hours on Saturday would be a plus, too.

7. Great selection of music at the dance. I loved being able to request then and there and actually hear my song played. The screens were a bonus.

Not really a complaint or a compliment: Just how many more attendees did you jump up to in your second year from your first year? There seemed to be just so many people... everywhere. And the rooms sold out. Should we be expecting a new hotel for next year?

~Puruto-chan<3
Youmacon is my last con for a while. Silly study abroad and archaeology fieldwork for stealing con time away!

Doing it all in the name of fanfiction and cosplay since 1987.

mgperkow
Server Administrator

Postby mgperkow » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:55 am

I think I said this somewhere, but we do have plans to try to pre-screen the kinds of merchandise in the dealer room next year. Hopefully we can increase the variety of what's available without missing our initial goal of making sure that there is something for everybody in the room.

As for the hours on Saturday, that's a more complicated issue. As the head of the department, I really don't want the room to be open for more than 8 hours at a time, because running the room for 8 hours means the staff and vendors are actually putting in 10 hours of work. It's very exhausting for all of us, even with a break for lunch in the middle. I should also point out that most of the vendors themselves don't get to take a break. Running the room all day can be a grueling experience for all involved. The possibility of moving the hours forward so that the room closes later in the evening on Saturday is not beyond reason, as far as I'm concerned, but some other departments like Live Events and Con Operations might have a problem with that. Right now the general feeling is that we'd rather not have the dealer room's hours run into the masquerade.

Return to “2006 Memories”