Youmacon 2006 Feedback Thread

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our second year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

mgperkow
Server Administrator
First Anime: Fruits Basket

Postby mgperkow » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:58 am

We were supposed to have signs and posters of the con schedule for each room. I'm not sure how that fell through the cracks, but I'm sure we'll definitely do something like that next year.

babiesforbreakfast

Postby babiesforbreakfast » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:22 pm

The dealers room didn't seem to have very many items. I brought a good amount of money plus a credit card but was dissapointed because I only bought two things of candy and a dvd that I could have bought at the place down my street.

CyberBotX
Platinum Attendee

Postby CyberBotX » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:31 pm

I have to say that the con seems to run better this year than it did last year. Sure, there were problems with some events/panels being late, but it wasn't quite as bad as last year.

The Spoony Bards have to be one of the best aspects of the con, though. I spent more of my downtime listening to them than anything else. Definatly bring them back next year! :D

Csophae

Postby Csophae » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:40 pm

It seemed to me the rooms at the hotel were far too small for a lot of the things. The dealer room was a nightmare to try to walk through. I know there are a lot more dealers in the area and ones from out of state who would be willing to come, but there wouldn't be anywhere to put them. There were very few dealers there to begin with, that surprised me. The panel rooms varied, but I know the Para Para panel was extremely crowded.

I did enjoy the gaming rooms, I loved the free Supernova machine. The atmosphere was great, we had a lot of freedom to be completely crazy (which we took full advantage of). I went into the wrong panel once and ending up in an AMV one, it ended up being really awesome, they were well prepared. We all sang a Lion King song and I got a kick out of that.

Kakashi

Postby Kakashi » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:58 pm

I do agree with the rooms being too small.

It was my first convention, though and that's why I can't really say I've seen anything better! XD I loved it!

I just hope that the next one will be even better!
¬_¬ .... ^.~ .....8D

mgperkow
Server Administrator
First Anime: Fruits Basket

Postby mgperkow » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:01 pm

As the Dealer DH, I would agree with you that the dealer room is a bit limiting in size (hence why we can't have more dealers). However, until the con decides that it's appropriate to consider moving, it's the room we have to live with.

Shino_Aburame
Dealers Staff
First Anime: Voltron

Postby Shino_Aburame » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:32 pm

i didnt see a single member of security all week are they like super ninjas :lol:

but ok on a serious note

i really... wasnt ok with cosplay shougi being scripted, even tho i talked with nikolai after about it he said it was that way to be fair to everyone. (bear in mind i was first peice taken, not fair man lmao) id rather have the emporers stand on small stools to see the board and order pieces to move. although nikolai told me if it happened that way several ppl wouldnt be moved, but if the emporers were told to use all the pieces...

with cosplay shougi late in the game allot of ppl around including myself were seriously confused about which way/side peices were on i believe that if someone drew like red on the corners on one set of the signs and blue on the other it might solve this. (cause late in game when i was by mario / itachi and someone else i thought that pr. knight was with the other team cause the way she was facing

----------------------------------------------------------------

the maid cafe i honestly must 3rd the notion to move it to saturday, or at least later on friday

----------------------------------------------------------------
the con schedule really must be posted everywere cause, allot of us mainly my roomies arent hardcore organized, and i lost my program book and found it posted in 2 places on the first floor.
Last edited by Shino_Aburame on Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
7th year member of staff, El Presidente wants a cigar...

Cosplays
My Little Pony - Spike
Hellsing - The Major (Friday)
Axis Powers - Russia (Saturday)

Hikaru0
Artists' Alley DH
First Anime: Vampire Hunter D

Postby Hikaru0 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:44 pm

forgive me for not quoting people, I'm responding to a couple of posts at once.

The Maid Cafe was first and foremost a guest meet and greet, which made more sense for it to be at the start of the con, so you could see the guests first thing.
Some people seem to be confused that it was pay to get in both hours, but it was pay the first hour to see ALL the guests, and free the second with only a chance to see guests still in there. I believe Chris Cason, Caitlin Glass, and Tony Oliver remained in the cafe after the first hour, so it was a good setup all around ^_^ We will be doing things like this next year as well if this event returns.
We will take the suggestion for extending the cafe to Saturday as well, however please keep in mind that there are many, many events going on Saturday, and we don't want to overwhelm you the attendee or our maids.
We were all pretty exhausted after the two hours in the cafe on Friday.

SMTemp- Thank you for your suggestion. I will keep that in mind for next year. This was my first year as a DH of anything, let alone the Artist's Alley, so my plan was to play by ear. There were three tables that I'm hearing now were definately empty from my staff, as I got so caught up in running everywhere, I wasn't sure which tables were really unoccupied or just temporarily not being used as the artist left to attend a panel.

lilyclairwell

Postby lilyclairwell » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:03 pm

cattycat wrote:Another thing that bothered me was the fact that some of the acts were definitely not PG-13. I mean one act when Sora was "choking" I found a bit inappropriate. I think people should clarify a little more on what PG-13 really is to them.

I know it has a bit of swearing which I can handle but some of the yaoi jokes got a bit out of hand some parts in the masquerade. At least my mom said so.

I'm just wondering, because I have an idea, if the song Ultimate Showdown is PG-13? It's a bit graphic if you really think about it, and I don't want to get started on anything if it's too "R" rated for people.

StripperShikamaru

Postby StripperShikamaru » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:28 pm

Shino_Aburame wrote:i didnt see a single member of security all week are they like super ninjas :lol:

but ok on a serious note

i really... wasnt ok with cosplay shougi being scripted, even tho i talked with nikolai after about it he said it was that way to be fair to everyone. (bear in mind i was first peice taken, not fair man lmao) id rather have the emporers stand on small stools to see the board and order pieces to move. although nikolai told me if it happened that way several ppl wouldnt be moved, but if the emporers were told to use all the pieces...

with cosplay shougi late in the game allot of ppl around including myself were seriously confused about which way/side peices were on i believe that if someone drew like red on the corners on one set of the signs and blue on the other it might solve this. (cause late in game when i was by mario / itachi and someone else i thought that pr. knight was with the other team cause the way she was facing

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the maid cafe i honestly must 3rd the notion to move it to saturday, or at least later on friday

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the con schedule really must be posted everywere cause, allot of us mainly my roomies arent hardcore organized, and i lost my program book and found it posted in 2 places on the first floor.

yeah, i know what you mean about the shogi.
they should ahve done black signs with white text for black. x.x::
as for the scheduling... i think i got lucky and found it once. x.x::
oh, by the way... /wave
i was the ed who was talking to you. xD
<.<::
Uhm... I guess I was stripping all weekend... >.>::
<.<:: I wasnt... really.
seriously. x.x::

if i talked to you more than once, email me/im me! ^^
Also... if you were at the inuyasha photoshoot, I want the video and pics. pm me! ;.;

MagiusT
Vice Con Chair / Live Programming DH

Postby MagiusT » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:12 pm

StripperShikamaru wrote:
Shino_Aburame wrote:i really... wasnt ok with cosplay shougi being scripted, even tho i talked with nikolai after about it he said it was that way to be fair to everyone. (bear in mind i was first peice taken, not fair man lmao) id rather have the emporers stand on small stools to see the board and order pieces to move. although nikolai told me if it happened that way several ppl wouldnt be moved, but if the emporers were told to use all the pieces...

yeah, i know what you mean about the shogi.
they should ahve done black signs with white text for black. x.x::
as for the scheduling... i think i got lucky and found it once. x.x::
oh, by the way... /wave
i was the ed who was talking to you. xD
<.<::

As the person who runs shougi, I'll field these. We actually tried both a scripted and an unscripted game the first year. The unscripted game just didn't work. We couldn't see the board, and alot of pieces didn't do anything. The big bonuses to it being scripted is we can plan out an exciting match, and then try to place people so that fun roleplaying encounters can happen. We had it scripted up until the very end this year, and then we went at it. So the end itself wasn't actually planned.

As for changing the signs, there is no Black or White in shougi. All the pieces look the same when you play a game. The only way you can tell what piece is on what side is by the direction they are facing. If we painted the signs different colors what would happen when people who were captured were replayed on the other team? We are looking into impriving the signs a bit, but there really isn't much we can do to differentiate the sides other than making sure people face the right direction.

Kira_elric
First Anime: Serendipty the Pink Dragon

Postby Kira_elric » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:42 pm

I personally thought Shougi was fun the only thing I have to say about it was the schedule made me sad on Saturday. I was cosplaying Edward Elric but my Photoshoot was at the same time as Shougi check in so I missed it. :( And then Shougi was during Matt Hill's autograph signing so I didn't get to meet the voice of my second favorite anime character.

Next year, I suggest that Photoshoots and signing AREN'T scheduled during Shougi.
Youma '17
~~~~~
Izuku "Deku" Midoriya - My Hero Academia
Hero Suit
Casual
U.A. Uniform
Rabbit Kimono

Nostalgic

Postby Nostalgic » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:46 pm

This con was by far the easiest to navigate of any that I've been to. The layout of the hotel may have helped, but there was plenty of signage all over. That was a big help. (The one exception might be having registration deep within the convention.)

The main video game room was fun. As much as I love DDR, it was nice to have an alternative (ITG2) that did not draw a big line, making it easy to get in a game. (I found the same at ACEN, where the PIU had almost no wait time.) I also appreciated the multi-game machine; I'm an old school gamer who likes to play oddball things like Galaga 3 now and then.

I liked having Artist's Alley open at odd hours. When there was a break in the evening action, it gave me an opportunity to wander through there and chat up a couple of the artists.

I was disappointed in the number of dealers and lack of variety in their wares. I came in prepared to blow an absurd amount of money on art books and/or import CDs but found almost none of either.

Cosplay Shougi was a blast that I would definitely like to see repeated (and participate in again) next year. I am of two minds about the scripted game; it probably did help most pieces at least see some activity, but it does take away from spur-of-the-moment decisions and sudden turnarounds. However, we had good luck with the people playing, with many of them and the audience really getting into the spirit of things. Just fix that audio system... ;)

The con suite was really well done. I liked that there was a mix of both healthy and unhealthy snacks, some things resembling meal material (cup ramen and PB&J), and some unorthodox items like homebrew cola and nitrogen ice cream. The dance music playing quietly in the background was a nice touch. I found myself returning several times.

Having water available at several entrances was also very nice. Thank you.

Csophae

Postby Csophae » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:49 pm

Nostalgic wrote:The con suite was really well done. I liked that there was a mix of both healthy and unhealthy snacks, some things resembling meal material (cup ramen and PB&J), and some unorthodox items like homebrew cola and nitrogen ice cream. The dance music playing quietly in the background was a nice touch. I found myself returning several times.

Having water available at several entrances was also very nice. Thank you.

I completely forgot about that. Yes, it was a very nice surprise to have drinks available. It was great to have a nice place to sit down with friends and grab a pop (why did the signs say soda? this was a con in Michigan...lol) from the bathtub. Thanks so much :)
Despite massive costume problems, Wildberry Princess was ultimately a success.

ReiTheJelly

Postby ReiTheJelly » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:57 pm

This is the smallest convention I've ever attended, so maybe my perspective on things is a little warped. I'm used to cons like Otakon and Anime Expo, that have 40,000+ attendance. :wink:

I realize that YoumaCon has only celebrated its second birthday. I understand that things will still be a little crazy and disorganized. But here are some of the things I found "odd" about this weekend.

(1) Why was registration way at the back of the hotel? Shouldn't it be closer to the front door? I know that I was a bit lost when I first walked in.

(2) The hotel was...tiny. Literally. As a cosplayer, I felt that the super-narrow hallways were difficult to navigate when in costume. And I saw more than one cosplayer accidentally knock into other con-goers with various parts of their costumes.

(2b) The hotel was poorly lit. Once again, this is purely a cosplay gripe. But it felt more like mood-lighting than any type of useful illumination. The hallways felt more like a seedy bar than a Hilton.

(3) More about cosplay: I only attended the convention on Friday, so I was a little disappointed that Friday's Hall Costume Contest winners were going to be announced on Saturday. Will they ever be posted online? I was just wondering, since none of the entrants were asked for their e-mail addresses, or anything. And I'd really like to know if some people that I met on Friday won for their division. :)

(4) I know this has already been addressed, but I cannot stress the importance of having the SCHEDULE posted outside every room. Most people don't carry their schedules around, or else lose them early on.

(5) The Spoony Bards. While I *really* enjoyed listening to their music...they were loud. So loud that it was impossible to hear anything if you were in the lobby or on the balcony. And since many events were scheduled to meet on the balcony, this seems like a bad combination. I know that the Ice Breaker group had to move to a new location because nobody could hear anything. Perhaps they can be given a room next year, where weary con-goers can go to relax with the music?

(6) At around 7:15pm on Friday I tried to watch some anime in one of the video rooms. Only to find that NONE of the video rooms were open, due to missing cables. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the con opened at 3pm. Why were the cables still missing more than 4 hours later? I had nothing else that I wanted to do at the moment, so I just went and sat in a corner and watched people walking by, which wasn't terribly exciting.

(7) The dealer's room was tiny. And full of American merchandise. Hardly anything Japanese. I can walk into any Borders and purchase almost all of what was in that room. It...wasn't special. Perhaps it can be mentioned to the dealers that they should bring a wider variety of items? (since I realize that there is really nothing the con staff can do about this particular problem) And would it be possible to have a second dealer's room, so that more dealers can attend?

(8*) I couldn't tell who the staff were. Normally at cons, people wear brightly colored shirts, or reflective vests. Maybe y'all are just ninjas, but I didn't see a single staff member at all on Friday.

Now onto the things I *liked*!

(1) This is the first convention I've been to that I haven't had to pay for parking! Huzzah for the Hilton!

(2) I did like the fact that Artist's Alley didn't have set hours. Very cool, for those of us that like to wander around late in the evening.

(3) The Con Suite was amazing. Great job!

(*) While I didn't actually see any staff members, this was also a good thing. I've been to WAY TOO MANY conventions where the con staff are on power-trips and make life miserable for con-goers. So you guys are to be congratulated for being invisible in that respect.

This was my first time to YoumaCon, but I can definitely say that it will be worth investigating again next year. I was absolutely amazed at how far people came to attend this convention! I met people from Canada, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio and Kentucky! That's darn impressive for a 2nd year con!

Return to “2006 Memories”