Youmacon 2006 Feedback Thread

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our second year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

Puruto-chan

Postby Puruto-chan » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:36 pm

mgperkow wrote:I think I said this somewhere, but we do have plans to try to pre-screen the kinds of merchandise in the dealer room next year. Hopefully we can increase the variety of what's available without missing our initial goal of making sure that there is something for everybody in the room.

As for the hours on Saturday, that's a more complicated issue. As the head of the department, I really don't want the room to be open for more than 8 hours at a time, because running the room for 8 hours means the staff and vendors are actually putting in 10 hours of work. It's very exhausting for all of us, even with a break for lunch in the middle. I should also point out that most of the vendors themselves don't get to take a break. Running the room all day can be a grueling experience for all involved. The possibility of moving the hours forward so that the room closes later in the evening on Saturday is not beyond reason, as far as I'm concerned, but some other departments like Live Events and Con Operations might have a problem with that. Right now the general feeling is that we'd rather not have the dealer room's hours run into the masquerade.

If the Dealer's themselves don't want to stay longer, then there is nothing more to say about it. It is their merchandise to sell and if they don't want to be in there for more than 10 hours than they shouldn't have to.

~Puruto-chan<3
Youmacon is my last con for a while. Silly study abroad and archaeology fieldwork for stealing con time away!

Doing it all in the name of fanfiction and cosplay since 1987.

lilyclairwell

Postby lilyclairwell » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:27 am

ReiTheJelly wrote:
MagiusT wrote:8. Believe me, we were all over the place on Friday. A few of us are infact ninjas ;)

You guys really *must* be ninjas, then! Because I seriously didn't see anybody that wasn't obviously manning a booth/info desk. But like I said before, it was a good thing, too. :)

Well, first off, we don't wear uniforms (Thank ****!). Secondly, the people in registration are in a booth and staff! Thirdly, the people sitting on chairs in front of the dealer's room weren't just tired, they were staff too. Fourthly, the people fiddling around with the lights and speakers didn't sneak past the staff, they were staff. Fifthly, I just don't look very authoritative in a school girl outfit! (That's what I was wearing on Friday).

Now, I think what you were talking about was security. Many of them decided to go without the t-shirt this year and go "incognito." Of course, the big hulking brute covered in tattoos and sporting only one leg was hardly unnoticed by me. He was scary!

King of All Cosmos
Con Chair

Postby King of All Cosmos » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:11 pm

I'd like to personally field something on behalf on the Maid Cafe. The Maid Cafe in and of itself was an absolute success. From the fact that we have people requesting it to be open longer and also have it on Saturday(and not just on the boards) speaks for itself. Our Maids and Guest Relations people handled themselves great, phenominal in my eyes as NO ONE has ever done an event like this before.

This year's Maid Cafe was the first time that anything like this had ever been done outside of Japan, and even then we were still doing something that was our own. As Hikaru0 was the person who came up with the concept and brought it to life over the course of this entire year, I'd personally like to thank her and all of our Maids and staff for all of their hard work and effort and I believe that they should be given applause.

Hikaru0 did an amazing job organizing and coordinating the event and we're all looking forward to seeing what she'll be able to come up with for next year. Tehre was a lot learned over the course of the year so you can expect even more for the future.

Mimette
Guest Relations Staff

Postby Mimette » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:26 pm

I really don't have any complaints about this year. Last year my only complaint was a lack of cooling and access to any beverages in the Masquerade green room. This year that wasn't really a problem even with all the people in there that there were also considering Venus coming in with her HUGE tray of drinks to cool us all off. (Thank you mommy!) Even sprinting to the stage for awards was a good bit of fun for those that got to do it.

As for the maid cafe. I would have loved to attend it but having arrived to the con late, it was out of the question. It was stated earlier that it isn't likely to be open longer because of the staff becoming tired. Would it be possible to maybe have a rotating staff of volunteers and such? I know that when I heard about I was more than curious but after seeing it in action (through photos) I wouldn't mind donning a maid outfit and helping out if we did it for longer and at different times in the future.

ubersaurus

Postby ubersaurus » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:21 am

lilyclairwell wrote:
ReiTheJelly wrote:
MagiusT wrote:8. Believe me, we were all over the place on Friday. A few of us are infact ninjas ;)

You guys really *must* be ninjas, then! Because I seriously didn't see anybody that wasn't obviously manning a booth/info desk. But like I said before, it was a good thing, too. :)

Well, first off, we don't wear uniforms (Thank ****!). Secondly, the people in registration are in a booth and staff! Thirdly, the people sitting on chairs in front of the dealer's room weren't just tired, they were staff too. Fourthly, the people fiddling around with the lights and speakers didn't sneak past the staff, they were staff. Fifthly, I just don't look very authoritative in a school girl outfit! (That's what I was wearing on Friday).

Now, I think what you were talking about was security. Many of them decided to go without the t-shirt this year and go "incognito." Of course, the big hulking brute covered in tattoos and sporting only one leg was hardly unnoticed by me. He was scary!

I want to see photos of this schoolgirl outfit :O
"The drums, the drums, the drums, the never-ending drumbeat. Open me, you human fool. Open the light and summon me and receive my majesty! "

"Two minutes to Belgium!"

0DDJ0B
Technical Staff
First Anime: Love Hina

Postby 0DDJ0B » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:28 am

Puruto-chan wrote:7. Great selection of music at the dance. I loved being able to request then and there and actually hear my song played. The screens were a bonus.

You're welcome~~ 8)
Keith Lesinski
2005-2014 - Technical Department, ADH - Audio
Twitter | Soundcloud | Beatport
#TeamCOBO

lilyclairwell

Postby lilyclairwell » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:55 am

[quote="ubersaurus]I want to see photos of this schoolgirl outfit :O[/quote]

You would! I'll see what I can do. The one photo taken didn't capture the full glory of the outfit, i.e. he didn't get the knee-high stockings in the shot.

ubersaurus

Postby ubersaurus » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:22 pm

Oh ****, the stockings.

Fun story, when I went to Japan, my friend asked me to pick her up a pair of "loose socks". Not knowing what they were, I turned to my friend in Japan and asked her, to which her response was along the lines of "oh ****, those are the sock schoolgirls wear. You are gonna look so hilarious buying them!"

Me: "Maybe you could buy them for me?"

Her:"Oh hell no, I'm in my 20s, I'd look weird buying them myself."

So I ended up going into this sock store, getting a pair amidst a room full of odd looks. The cashier asked if they were a gift, to which I said yes, though I'm fairly certain she didn't quite grasp that I meant for someone not in high school. I don't think I can ever return to Kyoto again.

Also the con was pretty awesome. Though as I declared the previous year, the console gaming room could stand to be a bit bigger.
"The drums, the drums, the drums, the never-ending drumbeat. Open me, you human fool. Open the light and summon me and receive my majesty! "

"Two minutes to Belgium!"

youjik33
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Postby youjik33 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:10 am

Those socks are crazy -- they're like, a few feet long, but they're worn all bunched up. A couple people bought them in the group I was with, but they were kinda expensive.
Youmacon 2011 cosplay: Aveline Vallen (Dragon Age 2)

Panels:
Do You Dream In Anime? (Sunday, 12 noon, Panel 2)
Lost in Translation ( Sunday, 3 pm, Panel 4)

The-Real-Link
Media Staff
First Anime: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Re: Cosplay Shoots

Postby The-Real-Link » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:38 am

Hello everyone! I too am answering with regards to several posts so forgive me if I didn't quote your particular reply personally.

Although I do think Nikolai did a good job in organizing the larger group photoshoots for particular cosplay series, I too feel that extending groups to any more than two shoots just wouldn't work. For us photographers, we already had a couple conflicting shoots on the hour during Saturday as well as some going longer due to moving outside. I have no problems with longer shoots like that as they're fun (cosplayers willing) but unless a series proves to flood the convention and we have a spare hour block open, arranging a secondary shoot may prove difficult. As it is at the moment, we only have the balcony and outdoor locations available and it seemed to me that they were both well-used on Saturday.

I'm sure once next year's con comes closer we can see about creating more variety in the series and photoshoots but it was not wholly wrong to gauge giving a shoot to the most popular series because it worked very well this year. If there is a particular need to fulfil a new block with a different series, I'm sure we can work that in somehow. Be mindful too however that there's already the Maid Cafe on Friday as well as Shougi and the Masquerade on Saturday so although one is free to block off a time for their gathering, whether or not myself or another photograher can make it may be in the air. I think however this will be less of a problem next year due to having more staff per se.

Don't get me wrong - I'd definitely love to have more space for both cosplayers to walk and photographers to photograph (as I did both that weekend) but until there is a need expressed to move the con location there's little if anything I can do on my end.

In the meantime however, I would also like to thank Nikolai for his organization of the photoshoots in the first place as well as Amanda for her help over the weekend. It helped everyone with photography immensely.

If anyone has particular questions, please feel free to PM me or reply to this post.

As a final note, this year resulted right at 3,600 photos for the con from Thursday Staff Setup to Monday Breakdown. Please understand that this sheer amount of data will take some time to adjust (if necessary) and upload to our Media Page. In case you're not seeing any photos up from my part of Operations, that's why ^_^. Just keep an eye out on the main page of the site! I'm sure we'll update it when our media coverage is ready.
The-Real-Link!!
Ceiling Cat

The Commodore
First Anime: Pokemon

Postby The Commodore » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:44 am

I think a coat check would have been a great thing to have. There seemed like there would be space in the room where registrations were taking place. Myself, my mom, and my friend all brought sort of bulky coats and my mom doesn't enjoy being a walking, breathing coat rack.

My mom also made a comment that the registration process seemed a bit disorderly. Like, "Go over there and get that form, fill it out, come back here, give us your parental consent form, go write your name over there, etc." I think it would be easy to make it a little more ordered.

I would love to see another Gaia get together, but at an earlier time. The con is likely busiest in the afternoon, which is when I was there. However, the gathering was around 10 and there's no way I could have stayed that long. I'm a two year Gaia member though and I would love to meet some other local site members!

For some reason, the DDR tournament started an hour later than the schedule said. I didn't enter, but I was considering it very much. I ended up having to leave around 5 when the tournament started, so it's a good thing I wasn't planning on entering.

As others said, the dealer room was packed. During the height of con attendance on Saturday, it was nearly impossible to get through it. By the time I left, the room had cleared out quite a bit though. Also, I would have liked to see more variety in the items sold. I have to give a lot of credit to the people running the boothes though - they were working their asses off. But what was up with the place selling like, leather arms cuffs?

Overall, the con seemed to be running smoothly though, and I really don't have many complaints. I loved free ITG2. I seemed to be one of the few serious ITG players there so it was kind of nice to have people suprised by my play for once! Keep up the good work for next year!

Bill-kun

Postby Bill-kun » Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:34 pm

The con was awesome, as expected!!

I really don't know what I can say that could recommend it to be better! I suspect that it will have to be at a bigger hotel next year--we had significant overflow to the Embassy, and that's not even counting the people who didn't stay overnight.

The balcony is really not all that bad for a gathering, I now realize. The outdoor gazebo in the center of the "horseshoe" of the hotel is also a great outdoor gathering spot. November--Brr! Thank you to Hathor Kenobi for organizing a Star Wars gathering.

Youmacon is quickly becoming my favorite southeast MI convention. ^_^ :D
"Geekdom: The Anti-Drug."
Costumes: Indiana Jones, Tolkien elf, Ep. 1 and 4 Obi-Wan , Ep. 4 Luke, Ep. 6 Palpatine, schoolboy Shinji from Evangelion, plug suit Shinji, Gendou, Keitarou from Love Hina.

susuwatari

Postby susuwatari » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:10 pm

I wish there were more places to sit down. And I wish people were more considerate...I was getting tired of being knocked into walls from people moving by.

hathor_sg1x
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Postby hathor_sg1x » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:09 am

LOL Glad you approved Bill-kun, I will be doing it again next year, but I think I will make everyone meet in the Balcony again and take photo's outside.
We had too many people butting in and being rude snatching our FX sabers out of our hands and whoever took my Windu busted it. Now that needs replaceing(remember it kept flicking off, well its still doing it and sound busted). -_-;

As for the con overall...I think it was great and much better then last year but their are some things that need to be fixed or pointed out as I wasn't the only one who noticed, but I just think it needs to be addressed.

*Bigger hotel/con area

*The main game room houseing DDR/Tekken needed to HAVE someone tell half those people that we're playing when you got a huge line of people you need to 'share', I know being a PIRATE is a big thing, and the whole 'Take what you can give nothing back!' may apply to them, but please let OTHER people have a turn at the machines. Only time you got to touch those machines was between 2am-6am I think it was when half of us we're booted out so it could be cleaned.

*Masquerade if they had problems they should have informed those of us standing in the line for over an hour they we're having problems. People we're getting upset and could have been doing other events in that time.

*If someone is already doing a photo shoot, another person shouldn't so rudely butt in and take control of it. I will not say what shoot this was and whom the person was, but it was VERY rude and the person doing it had done it the year previously and she knew what she was doing. If you intend to help out with huge photo shoots ASK!! the other person running that shoot if they need help, just don't jump in and start barking orders,(work it out on the fourms or keep in contact with e-mails/phone.)

*I heard some artist pointing out their we're open tables to sell at in AA, if a person didn't show I agree they should have sold the table space area to the one willing to pay for it. We had a lot of empty spaces this year:cry:

As far as I know that is al lthat is currently nagging me the most, but those are my may concerns at the time.

Bill-kun wrote:The con was awesome, as expected!!

The balcony is really not all that bad for a gathering, I now realize. The outdoor gazebo in the center of the "horseshoe" of the hotel is also a great outdoor gathering spot. November--Brr! Thank you to Hathor Kenobi for organizing a Star Wars gathering.

Youmacon is quickly becoming my favorite southeast MI convention. ^_^ :D

Kristoski

Youma!

Postby Kristoski » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:21 pm

I've taken some time to read through the comments, so I shall attempt not to be too redundant. Since I notice a distinct lack of remarks regarding the guests of the con, I'd like to say a few things about them here:

Every single one of the guests at Youmacon was an absolute pleasure to have. They were friendly and outgoing, accessible and willing to talk with fans. They'd sign things when approached, and take just a few minutes out of their day to chat with you. I think that Youmacon has had an excellent guest line up the last two years, and I look very forward to seeing more next year.

I heard from a few of the guests that that staff was AWESOME, and every single one of them I spoke to (which was most of them) said that they would absolutely love to return. I dive head-first into cons when I go, and while I like all the anime shopping and the panels and what not, what really fascinates me is the industry, how it works, and how the people that are in this line of work do what they do. The fact that, at Youmacon, they are all so easy to find and so friendly (because they're naturally that way and because the guest relations keep them so happy!), is a really wonderful thing that I hope Youmacon won't lose as it starts to grow.

Basically I'm trying to say: good job! Oh, and coming from the girls...poor Caitlin was so outnumbered this year, but she survived "the boys" anyway. ;)
-Kristy

"Show me a sane man and I will cure him."

Return to “2006 Memories”