Youmacon 2006 Feedback Thread

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our second year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

Raiji Magiwind
Platinum Attendee
First Anime: Old School Gundam...:)

Postby Raiji Magiwind » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:05 pm

Kira_elric wrote:I personally thought Shougi was fun the only thing I have to say about it was the schedule made me sad on Saturday. I was cosplaying Edward Elric but my Photoshoot was at the same time as Shougi check in so I missed it. :( And then Shougi was during Matt Hill's autograph signing so I didn't get to meet the voice of my second favorite anime character.

Next year, I suggest that Photoshoots and signing AREN'T scheduled during Shougi.

Yeah I also had issues with the scheduling of when they did the signings with the guests. Half the ones I wanted to see ended up doing there signing when I was already commited to something else, like the Cosplay Shougi and the Masquerade, which made me sad :cry:.

Probably the only things I can think of to improve would be:

Equipment- Ah ****, I think this was the biggest headache for the staff and the volunteers. Definatly need to make sure we can aquire better equipment for all the events, including a monitor for the words for the Karoke guy. Heck, making sure the stuff is set up in time for the events would be a thing to work on as well. Enough radios AND batteries would also be a plus- I feel both for ya staffers as well as the gophers. (Recalls the nightmare of hunting down and keeping track of all us volunteers). Better system for the Masqurade, since the sound was terrible and could barely hear what was being said by the announcer, especially via the screen we had in the Green Room.

Scheduling of Guests: Either change the time slot for the guest signing times to a time when more people can go or make sure none of the major events are lined up at same time. Another idea would be have more then one session for the guest during the days. In other words, have certain guests sign on a certain day (like we did), but offer more then one time slot. Maybe have them do both a morning signing session as well as a afternoon/early evening session (How long each session is left up to you or the guests signing). I think this would help for both for people who may be doing things in the afternoon or certain times of the day, as well as the huge **** lines that are created for it. I mean there where some times when you could barely squeeze through the second floor balcony cause there where so many people waiting for signatures.

Photoshoots: Same issue with guests, some of the people who wanted to attend a shoot for a series or such would miss because they hade something else happening at the same time, like the Shougi or Masquerade. If anything make sure the photoshoots are not scheduled during the major events. Anotehr suggestion is better organization and maybe a system for the shoots since some shoots where so crowded with people trying to take pictures and couldn't because you had some who kinda just rude and getting the way of people taking pictures. I mean maybe have the said group get together for whatever the pose the people want oget a shot of, then have groups of 10 people at a t time take there pictures to help make getting a picture of a shot you want easier. I have some good shots that ended up blurry cause people would just suddenly walk in front of me just before I would take a picture so I had to hurry and move and repostion with like 10 seconds before the group would break up or stuff and I would lose the shot opportunity. That kinda made me mad.

On the side note, a place somewhere in the hotel, off to some random side or corner or something that is set up say for people to be able to take pictures of costumes they like outside of the photoshoots, whould be nice. I mean sometimes it would be hard to take a picture of someone when you had fifty people walking through the backside. Or even set up something, if you find a person who likes taking con photos, thats interested in doing pics for the con, to offer a opportunity for people to have there picture taken in a semi-professional shot, so that if anything, even those who may have had camera issues can have one pic of there costume from the con.

Signage: More or better signage. I mean sometimes trying to find something was a nightmare, or even helping the con goers find something when they would ask us volunteers and we couldn't give good directions, cause even some of us weren't sure. Maybe have a major sign on each floor that has a map of the hotel (or where ever the con runs out of next year) with a copy of the schedule for all three days. Have smaller signs at each room with the schedule for those rooms for the length of the con. Signs for other major things might be good to have as well. Announce changes to the schedule should made as soon as possible, either by posting in a main location or area where traffic is heavy and will take notice.

Scheduling of things in general seemed to become a mess. I think probably the main issue from many people was the fact there was so much to do, and not enough time, or too many things one wanted to do, all scheduled at the same time.

Thats about all I can think of off the top of my head at the moment, though I may think of other things if I remember.
Raiji's Scrib'd Shelf
--Go to my Scrib'd for the YoumaLingo Dictionary, Glomp Commandments and other fun stuff...

ngsilver
Fan Art Theater DH
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Postby ngsilver » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:14 am

I know that at conventions one of the biggest problems always is scheduling. Staff can't please everybody but in the end we do try to make sure that all conflicts as we see them (basically types of events happening at the same time) does not happen. And yeah, there are actually few cons I attend where there is as much to do as there is at Youma. I've been to some where there was so few panels that panel rooms didn't have anything scheduled for 60% of the con (and I'm not talking nighttime either.) This is a good thing because in the end there IS something for people to do, but this also can cause some problems for attendees because then there is soo much they want to do, but not enough time. Not really sure there is much we can do with that... well... aside from scheduling less panels ^^()

I like your suggestions about the guest signings. I too think having multiple signing sessions during the con for each guest is a good thing. Though either way attendees will still have to make a choice wether to get in line or goto an event that may be happening at the same time. But at least with lets say 2 sessions you have less chances of missing something you REALLY want to go to.

Ichigo Ikane

Postby Ichigo Ikane » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:16 am

When will the official Youmacon photos be posted?
Help my eggs out with clicks! ^^

dragonwarlord1969

Postby dragonwarlord1969 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:07 am

My only complaint (which is not really a complaint) is signage at the road. I wasen't sure I was at the right place (I got there Thursday night and the area was new to me). My suggestion is to have a sign at the road indicating that Youmacon is here! It might also bring in people off the street.

Joe

ngsilver
Fan Art Theater DH

Postby ngsilver » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:33 am

I'm not sure how the laws work in Troy, but almost everywhere I have seen it is illegal to have signs posted on the street. The police took signs down and fined my boss because we had sale signs on the side of the road.

Interesting idea, but I doubt it will be possible.

rpb3000

Postby rpb3000 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:05 am

Really? That's odd. Sounds like a municipality-level thing then. I'd try to find out what Troy's laws say about it. I know at least in the Northeast Ohio area and the Columbus area streetside signs are a very common site, used to point people towards stores with sales going on, used to show the specials of the day at local restaurants, used to show what company is doing construction at a spot, used to point people towards yard sales, etc etc.
rpb3000
There is NO Absolute Reality!
Join <a href="http://sporc.bounceme.net/">SPORC</a>!

MooMan1

Postby MooMan1 » Sun May 13, 2007 11:09 pm

I thought that overall, this was great con, even better than ACen this year. The only things I could suggest would be giving Gaia a proper room so we could /b/lockade it, making a 4chan panel, and giving Gaming 2 a room proper. Jesus lord was that a horrible smell. It was also a good 20 degrees hotter in ther e than anywhere else in the con.
lolz sig

Return to “2006 Memories”