Guest Feedback!

Questions and info pertaining to convention invited guests of honor

Moderators: Bo, Public Moderators

cactusmomma
Guest Relations Staff
First Anime: Speed Racer

Guest Feedback!

Postby cactusmomma » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:14 am

What did you love? What did you hate? Let us know!
Guest updates and random con shenaniganry: http://beegobuzz.tumblr.com

Craig Bayfield
First Anime: Ah! My Goddess

Re: Guest Feedback!

Postby Craig Bayfield » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:17 am

I loved that they had Carrie Keranen in there due to how much I love Ah! My Goddess and Scott McNeil and Sonnie Strait are total rockstars who should be loved wherever they go (and they are so cool with the convention atmosphere <3).

Keep inviting Doug, Linkara, Teamfourstar and Lemon Demon. They are becoming my biggest draws to this convention and it's not hard to see why. Looking at the line for the 18+ TFS panel alone should see that they are one of the biggest events each year.

Really... as far as guests are concerned this year was one of the best conventions I've had the pleasure of being at. It also helps that it's the first time I've ever seen the guests mingle with the con crowd, stop by artist tables and be part of the action. Maybe that's because I knew their faces this year, though.

The_Original_UberCuber
First Anime: Dragon Ball Z

Postby The_Original_UberCuber » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:04 am

All the guest this year were great! Just like last year, Jon St John was tons of fun at his panel, and even more fun when I got him to record a message making fun of my brother for me.

It was also great how so many of the guests weren't afraid of just straight-up talking to attendees out of the blue. I remember Sonny Straight walking up and talking to me about Fish City and we both agreed that it must be a myth. I also remember a staffer talking to me about how Scott McNeil was a little problematic because he was too nice and would often take much more time than he should have when it came to autograph signings or even just talking with people.

And man, Paulie Schrier. Just... man. I didn't even get the chance to meet him, but dang, he was awesome. There's nothing I love more than a guest who loves being at Youmacon, makes me feel all fuzzy on the inside :3

Steam Powered Giraffe was absolutely spectacular, even though I only was able to see their concert. Again, they really seemed to love it here.

That said, I really wish Nabeshin had a better translator - or at least, not the one from Opening Ceremonies. He'd be giving some sort of super-enthusiastic speech and we'd hear dry, boring stuff in English. Probably not under youma's control or anything, but still. Feel kinda sorry for him though, since didn't Nabeshin host a Rope Bondage panel?
In Soviet Russia, signature reads YOU!

2012 Plans:
Deadpool (with or without Hawaiian shirt)
Naked Snake (with or without Skull facepaint)
Tommy Wiseau

EdrickV
First Anime: Robotech

Postby EdrickV » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:03 am

I hadn't really followed the guest announcements and such (since I don't usually watch dubbed Anime thanks to the invention of DVDs) so when Nabeshin was announced during opening ceremonies, and I realized it really was him, I was more then a little surprised, not just that Youmacon had a Japanese guest, but just who it was. I'll pay better attention next year. :)
Youmacon 2012 Pictures: viewtopic.php?p=266173#p266173
Youmacon 2012 Costumes:
FF1 Red Mage, Pokemon Scientist Trainer from B/W
Pictures include Pokemon, Final Fantasy, CLAMP, photoshoots and Misc. pics

Nosredna
Platinum Attendee

Postby Nosredna » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:07 am

I have to cop out and say all the guests were awesome. I just wish they would have announced Carrie Keranen on the website, because I would have watched and listened to Madoka in English so I could have heard her play Mami. Oh well, I hope she gets invited back next year :mrgreen:.

GeekyJuuu
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Postby GeekyJuuu » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:23 am

Sorry to be the Negative Nancy here, but I wasn't as pleased as the bulk of people here. :c While my boyfriend and I were quite excited to meet Cherami Leigh, there was apparently an issue in her first autograph session in which nobody could get a hold of her, and if the rumors are true, she was actually in Cobo, not knowing the session was in the Ren Cen. For the second session on Saturday, the line was absolutely MASSIVE because the guests scheduled to appear prior arrived fairly late into their own session. Due to panel-time conflicts, we missed out. I know these mistakes happen sometimes, but perhaps better communication with guests could prevent location mix ups? Also, Carrie Keranen was present?! No idea! ;-; Please consider putting all announcements up on the website in the future. I totally missed the memo on that. Man, and I'm collecting Madoka Dub signatures too.

Onto the positive! It's nice to see the guest list expanding as Youmacon grows, and having Nabeshin was fantastic and a pleasant surprise! It's so exciting to see Youma welcome its first Japanese guest, and such an awesome one, too! c: And Lemon Demon never disappoints. So all in all, some good stuff, some bad stuff.

DrDtroit

Postby DrDtroit » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:15 am

Didn't get to see much of the guests, but even the fact that I was in the same general area as Nabeshin makes me insanely glad. Get more japanese guests, please!
Also, after watching some of the Steam Powered Giraffe concert on youtube, I really wish I would have went to that concert. Guys are great performers!

The_Original_UberCuber
First Anime: Dragon Ball Z

Postby The_Original_UberCuber » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:02 am

DrDtroit wrote:Also, after watching some of the Steam Powered Giraffe concert on youtube, I really wish I would have went to that concert. Guys are great performers!

Is what you watched the official one recorded by the convention, or is just stuff recorded by other people? I've been wondering when it'd be uploaded since I was told it was already at closing ceremonies
In Soviet Russia, signature reads YOU!

2012 Plans:
Deadpool (with or without Hawaiian shirt)
Naked Snake (with or without Skull facepaint)
Tommy Wiseau

whiskahs
First Anime: Tekkaman Blade

Postby whiskahs » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:38 am

I thought most of the guests were pretty good, but I'd honestly like to see if it were possible to draw more people involved with the production of anime and the like to the con. I'd much rather sit in on a few informative panels from industry people than listen to fan groups poke fun and parody things... I can see that on the Internet any time I want.

I did particularly enjoy the 91.8 The Fan people though and thought it was pretty solid having music setup somewhere that was playing most of the day.

I'm not sure who did the DJing for the rave, but he was kinda meh. I sorta liked his song selection, but just putting together a youtube video playlist with crap audio quality doesn't really cut it for me :s Especially with a decent sound system and doubly so with the volume as loud as it was.

cactusmomma
Guest Relations Staff
First Anime: Speed Racer

Postby cactusmomma » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:53 am

The_Original_UberCuber wrote:
DrDtroit wrote:Also, after watching some of the Steam Powered Giraffe concert on youtube, I really wish I would have went to that concert. Guys are great performers!

Is what you watched the official one recorded by the convention, or is just stuff recorded by other people? I've been wondering when it'd be uploaded since I was told it was already at closing ceremonies

I believe tech is waiting for the ok to release it. I got to see some of the camera work done at least and boyyy, is it pretty!
Guest updates and random con shenaniganry: http://beegobuzz.tumblr.com

DrDtroit

Postby DrDtroit » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:35 am

The_Original_UberCuber wrote:

No, it was all fan-cam stuff, including one a friend took who's super into them.

Candid Friend

Postby Candid Friend » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:43 pm

All time favorite part of the con was pretty much everything related to Steam Powered Giraffe.
The concert was fantastic - even with the ten minutes of technical difficulties. David and Sam kept the audience entertained, and it was awesome to watch.
They were the nicest people, too. They were thrilled with Youmacon, and Youmacon was thrilled with them. I think it was Bunny who said this was the largest, most enthusiastic crowd that they've ever performed for, and they would LOVE to come back if they were invited again. And I would love to see them in concert again, so would a ton of other people. (Just look at the SPG tag on Tumblr. They have a SERIOUSLY devoted fanbase.)
They seriously stole the entire show. I brought three of my friends who had never even heard of SPG to the concert, and they all fell in love within the first song.
Youmacon '12:
Thuggish Splicer [Bioshock] 80%
Dipper Pines [Gravity Falls] 30%

Other Cosplays:
Ness [EarthBound]
A Russian [Russia]

Return to “Guests of Honor”