a little photo etiquette for next year

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our first year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

Hikaru0
Artists' Alley DH
First Anime: Vampire Hunter D

a little photo etiquette for next year

Postby Hikaru0 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:53 pm

Yay! Youmacon came and went and it was fun!

I do have a few suggestions for people taking pictures next year, especially when it comes to cosplayers.

Please stop the person and ask them politely to take their photo. We're cosplayers, we like having our picture taken, or we wouldn't be wearing costumes. I ran into many instances of people just walking by you, shoving the camera in your face without aiming and flashing a photo. This is rude and slightly dangerous, as you can cause the subject of the photo to stumble or run into others.

I don't care if you think it's funny, please refrain from doing it again next year >.<

The other instance I ran into was people just running up and standing in front of you, then holding up the camera as you stand looking at them bewlidered, and snapping the photo before you're ready. This is more polite than the shove and snap method, but still rude.

Taking photos is easy. You go up to the subject you wish to photograph, ask them "Can I take your picture?" then wait patiently for them to drop bags, take off glasses (if they wear them. Many bespeckled cosplayers don't consider the glasses part of the costume and would rather be photographed without them)

If someone says no, then just wait until later to photograph them. Sometimes costumes malfunction and we need a moment to fix them, or we're busy with soemthing else. We're not being rude or hateful to you, so don't feel bad ^^

And if you're prone to shyness, beleive me, the first few times asking for photos is rough, but you slide into it easily, and forget that you were ever shy ^^

Gato Gurl914

Postby Gato Gurl914 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:23 pm

well said.
08 Cosplay-
Dawn/Hikari-Pokemon-100%
Light Yagami the Woman-Death Note- 50%

Iceman_F1

Postby Iceman_F1 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:28 pm

Then again, there is what I do (Which is a bit less polite then myself asking, but no one gets harmed)

I follow around someone else who has a camera and when they take a picture, so do I =P I often get an off angle shot because of it, but it makes no difference to me. That way, even though there are others rushing to take a photo too, I've done mine the same time as my friend and then we are on our way.
Iceman_F1
--------------
AMV Creator, PV Karaoke Timer and general Fansub helper. Work for #SD_Project and #Mognet.

The-Real-Link
Media Staff
First Anime: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Postby The-Real-Link » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:28 am

Those are all good statements Hikaru0. As I was managing staff photography, I do apologize if I had come off as rude or anything you listed above. More often than not, I was rushing everywhere as is just trying to keep up with everyone moving around, but usually I asked everyone I bumped into if I could take their photo.

Otherwise though you're right. Atleast ask the cosplayer and give them time to adjust their costume before snapping away. I've had people get my photo so often when I wasn't even finished checking myself over...it really leaves you feeling strange - and besides, probably doesn't give the photographer the shot they're looking for.
The-Real-Link!!
Ceiling Cat

Anne Packrat
First Anime: Ranma

Postby Anne Packrat » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:12 am

The-Real-Link wrote:Those are all good statements Hikaru0. As I was managing staff photography, I do apologize if I had come off as rude or anything you listed above. More often than not, I was rushing everywhere as is just trying to keep up with everyone moving around, but usually I asked everyone I bumped into if I could take their photo.

Otherwise though you're right. Atleast ask the cosplayer and give them time to adjust their costume before snapping away. I've had people get my photo so often when I wasn't even finished checking myself over...it really leaves you feeling strange - and besides, probably doesn't give the photographer the shot they're looking for.

Hey, if I followed that photo ettiquette thing you wouldn't have your avatar! Lol. Just kidding.

Anyway, just another addition for both photographer and cosplayer. Try to make sure you move your impromptu photoshoot out of the main pathways of the con if possible, like up against a wall or something. That way it doesn't get in the way.
Anne Packrat
Chief Masquerade Yeller and Cosplay Registration

"If life gives you lemons make orange juice."

Return to “2005 Memories”