Suggestions on Improvements

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our first year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

FrenziedFury
Guest Relations Staff
First Anime: Spectreman

Postby FrenziedFury » Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:37 am

Bill-kun was able to get some good shots of he and I in front of the Death Star on Sunday afternoon, but that's primarily because of no one being there. I wonder what that thing was supposed to be, anyway?

I hope they don't ban lightsabers next year! Most of my fun came from the mock duels people challenged me to when they saw me with mine!

Oh, did anyone else catch the security guard peeping in on the hentai room? :lol:
Jayson D. Clarkson
Youmacon 2006 - 2011 Guest Relations ADH

I came here to kick **** and chew bubblegum... and my feet really hurt right now.

DarkPriestess

Postby DarkPriestess » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:00 am

Nikolai wrote:
bar1scorpio wrote:Add some Japanese LiveAction, maybe to the viewing room?

Already planned for it.

BATTLE ROYALE!!!

I've been wanting to see that for a long time... and I can never find a copy....

other then that, I know I already said it somewhere else, but on the doors to the viewing room outside a list of what's supposed to be playing and a small summary. Just like the genre (but seeing guys come to watch yaoi and expect normal hentai was very amusing) and if avaiable for the younger viewers and over protective parents (if any are around) the suggested rating.

I'd like the see more artists in the artists alley. The ones there were great, but I like a wider variety, and haggling over prices for commissions ^_^;
Nina - Breath of Fire 2 (massive purple wings have been retired)
Jing - King of Bandits: Jing (retired for now)
Mushroom Girl Spar - Breath of Fire 2
Stalker - Ragnarok Online

FlyingElf
First Anime: Slayers

Postby FlyingElf » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:24 pm

Bill-kun wrote:Oh, yes, and I did very much notice the police officer in the lobby. That is definitely a good deterrent for peacebreakers, and good corrective action can be taken if the peace is broken. Good foresight. (Unless it was the hotel itself who asked for a boy in blue, in which case it's probably a dark light on us the con-goers?)
[/i]

That wasn't a police officer, that was hotel security. Or at least I never saw an actual police officer.

I thought he was a police officer at first too until I got to talking to him a little bit.
Anime Punch!
http://www.animepunch.org

hathor_sg1x
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Postby hathor_sg1x » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:59 pm

FrenziedFury wrote:I hope they don't ban lightsabers next year! Most of my fun came from the mock duels people challenged me to when they saw me with mine!

Darth Lando!(that is your now Sith name! :lol: ) I was wondering if you would like to join in on the Star Wars cosplay I am plotting for next year. If so let me know ^_^ I wish to get a few people to mess around as Sith and Jedi Knights/Padawan leaners. That and enter in one of the contests with a skit -pulls out the good ole pen and notebook-
Plot I must, make sure Yoda's drables off on good Jedi temple gossip to use in this I will.

The-Real-Link
Media Staff
First Anime: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Postby The-Real-Link » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:54 pm

bar1scorpio wrote:Hokay-

On the dance- I'll agree with our member of armed services here. I already pu t my own complaint on the dance, but hey, I had fun... well... in the TECHNO ELEVATOR!

Techno Elevator! TECHNO ELEVATOR! Techno Elevator!

OPh hey, how about this for next year. Morgan in Gendo cosplay.

I think I might have walked into that once...

Yes, Morgan as Gendo will be cool. Too bad about the dance though. I didn't get a chance to stop in but I heard it didn't have many attendees there.
The-Real-Link!!
Ceiling Cat

The-Real-Link
Media Staff
First Anime: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Postby The-Real-Link » Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:15 pm

Nikolai wrote:
Bill-kun wrote:Cosplay gatherings. Very good that the con took the initiative to schedule them. The balcony was a good place for it geographically, since it is out of the way of traffic. However, being a photographer, I see the balcony as probably the least photogenic place to have it, and I bet there was little room for photogs to get wide-angle shots.

Yeah, I agree, it's not a fantastic place for photos. The unpredictable November weather was what put them inside, although the Naruto one moved out to the courtyard area. (The Death Star is probably too close to cars for a good photo shoot.) The hotel's too small to really have a better location in the future, but maybe it can be encouraged more to move outside when there's a good opportunity.

Also being staff photographer, I too would have to say that it's maybe not the most ideal place, but it does beat jamming hallways for photos. I wouldn't imagine that wide angle shots aren't out of the question but you may need a wide angle lens to do it in that balcony space. Otherwise I personally found enough room to work with but the Inuyasha shoot maxed it out. Anything bigger and yeah, we'll have to move it outdoors.

I'd also like to take some time to thank everyone who was patient with me for taking several photos, and do apologize if I missed any individual. There were a lot of people costume-switching and going about so it's easy to happen even at a small convention. I think between attendees, Mr. Lillard of A Fan's View, myself, and others on staff, that everyone got their chance under the lens at some point.

Finally, if anyone has suggestions with regards to a photography standpoint, please feel free to voice them here as well.

It turned out that I took nearly 2,000 photos from Thursday night until Sunday evening, and 30+ minutes of general video of the con and closing ceremonies, so for those of you wondering where all those pics are, please be patient as we find ways to process the data.
Last edited by The-Real-Link on Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The-Real-Link!!
Ceiling Cat

Cordelia LeFay

Postby Cordelia LeFay » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:14 pm

DarkPriestess wrote:
Nikolai wrote:
bar1scorpio wrote:Add some Japanese LiveAction, maybe to the viewing room?

Already planned for it.

BATTLE ROYALE!!!

I've been wanting to see that for a long time... and I can never find a copy....

other then that, I know I already said it somewhere else, but on the doors to the viewing room outside a list of what's supposed to be playing and a small summary. Just like the genre (but seeing guys come to watch yaoi and expect normal hentai was very amusing) and if avaiable for the younger viewers and over protective parents (if any are around) the suggested rating.

I'd like the see more artists in the artists alley. The ones there were great, but I like a wider variety, and haggling over prices for commissions ^_^;

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon!! It's a riot!
For cosplay commissions, check out this link!
http://www24.brinkster.com/sithkittie/portfolio.html

schnuth

Re: Suggestions on Improvements

Postby schnuth » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:20 pm

Hikaru0 wrote:I guess next time we'll just stick with certificates for everyone.

Not to be picky, but someone misspelled my wife's last name on her certificate. Actually, you made up an entirely new last name. :) (She got an honorable mention.) She didn't mind so we didn't say anything at the con. But considering you had to sign-up for the hall cosplay with your information, I don't think it would be too hard to spell someone's name correctly.

Besides that, I don't have many gripes. :) I appreciated when signs were posted when events got pushed back. Maybe you can get more dealers for next year?

Aaron

MILLIONS KNIVES

uh......................

Postby MILLIONS KNIVES » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:22 pm

:shock: :shock: um well, wandering around the halls as guts was fun but aside from that and the dealer, things got kinda boring, i really don't mean to be rude :( .
WE ALL LOVE KNIVES!
reality is as twisted as it can get.............
vash is EVIL! REM IS EVILER!
visit my site:http://www.trigunmaximummillionskniv.zoomshare.com

tohru_tohru
Operations DH
First Anime: Candy Candy

Re: uh......................

Postby tohru_tohru » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:32 pm

MILLIONS KNIVES wrote::shock: :shock: um well, wandering around the halls as guts was fun but aside from that and the dealer, things got kinda boring, i really don't mean to be rude :( .

It's okay to say it; everyone's entitled to their opinion after all ;D. However, it might be more helpful to us if you could tell us what would make the con less boring and more fun for you this year. Ideas are always welcome :D
"Planning is bringing the future into the present so that you can do something about it now."
-- Alan Lakein

Return to “2005 Memories”