Suggestions on Improvements

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our first year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

Miki_KM
First Anime: Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics, Sailor Moon

Postby Miki_KM » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:28 pm

[quote="Nikolai"]
Well, technically you're not supposed to live entirely off the con suite... >_> We might be able to do something about the food variety though.[quote]

lol you live you learn....i'll know better next year. :D
KoriStarfire
(The user name I have on these forums pre-dates my cosplay days! #ImOld)

ubersaurus

Postby ubersaurus » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:01 pm

Nikolai wrote:
Miki_KM wrote:the con suite was much appreciated!!! But PB and J or some bad cup o noodles were not all that great. I'm kinda poor (you know being in college and stuff....)....so i was living off of the con suite food for 3 days. My stomach yelled at me after that....... lol oh well do what you can.....i just like good food ^^

Well, technically you're not supposed to live entirely off the con suite... >_> We might be able to do something about the food variety though.

ubersaurus wrote:Offhand I'd think maybe a wider variety of videos being played? Nothing that was airing really struck my fancy at first glance (though I did get into beat to death).

Well, give me some examples of what kind of variety was missing and I'll fit something like them in next year. ^_^

I personally would've loved to see captain tylor on there somewhere. And Zillion, even though all that exists of that stateside are like 5 dubbed episodes on VHS.

Those are **** good 5 eps.

And none can tell me Cromartie High isn't worth seeing! :P
"The drums, the drums, the drums, the never-ending drumbeat. Open me, you human fool. Open the light and summon me and receive my majesty! "

"Two minutes to Belgium!"

Nikolai
First Anime: Inuyasha

Postby Nikolai » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:17 am

ubersaurus wrote:I personally would've loved to see captain tylor on there somewhere. And Zillion, even though all that exists of that stateside are like 5 dubbed episodes on VHS.

And none can tell me Cromartie High isn't worth seeing! :P

Zillion might be a tough one, but Cromartie is likely to be shown in the DVD room next year, and I'll take Tylor into consideration too. ^_^

hathor_sg1x
First Anime: Sailor Moon

^_^; I'll toss in my two cents

Postby hathor_sg1x » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:12 am

I know this was a 1st year for you guys but next year when pre-advance tickets go on sale you may want to put the underage form somewhere with that. I was glad I went back and checked a week befoure the con and noticed it. I had two members from my FMA group that were under 18 so I had to hound my one friend like a dog on a bone to print it off. @.@

Also I think if you do the DDR stuff again next year if you 'can' maybe get another machine? Saturday I only played it once since too many people were wanting to do the double mats or you had to wait 8-10 minutes for all three rounds to be finished off.

I can't really think of anything else to point out now but if I think of something I will add it up later. :D :!:

diabloskh

Random Complaints from a Whiney Whiner

Postby diabloskh » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:44 am

OK first of all, Fantastic first job. Most complaints will stem from well, the fact that you asked for them.

Yes the game room was sparse, but hey, funds and such, I understand.

With better turn outs, you'll get more money, and have a better gaming room.

OK, on with comparing Youmacon to the bigguns I have been to. A, this isn't fair, because it isn't big yet, B, hard to be big in Troy, MI

BUt because I LOVE cons, and I will be gone a year in Iraq, and won't be back till Youmicon 2007 I want it to be huge.

Here are some suggestions I have, I won't waste your time with complaints. Lets advertise Youmicon on college campuses, Michigan has a lot of colleges, and Youmicon isn't far from them. I had friends in U of Ms anime club that didn't even know about the Con. U of M has 30K students, and MS has a lot, lets help ourselves by maybe getting a video of what goes on at cons, like a little promotional AMV of Youmicon playing at the colleges.

Ummm...also, I know you despise popular anime, I don't but pretentious people do, but you know what, many of those people paying 30$ a day, love Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Rurouni Kenshin, Naruto, FMA, so lets get some playing in the video rooms.

Also, cons can be scary for non hard cores, so when you pick a panel host, find one that doesn't try and make people feel stupid for not being able to read japanese. The panel host for the Full Metal Alchemist Panel said this, "Well people that watch the Anime tend to be dumber then those who read the Manga"

That's a pretty bad thing to say to a room of people that have probably only seen the anime. Apreciation of anime in all forms should be respected, don't disrespect people because you watch the original japanese, or your a sub not a dub person.

I love anime for the story, and yes I am taking Japanese, but I don't think I am dumb because I didn't have the oppurtunity to learn it at a young age.

Ummm...lets see. More Dealers, if you can get more, get more, people love to shop.

Concession Stand I know this has been addressed, but let me clarify, the con suite is great, but you know the very first dealer that had some japanese treats, like poki and such, if you can talk a dealer into being open morning till late night, like midnight, and have them out of the dealer room where they are more accessible, they will make a ton of money, or you can host it. Because at AWA and AKON they both have different types of concessions and those tables are mobbed 24/7 because it's hard to drive to McDonalds in a Sesshy costume. Also, we like to drink japanese soda, eat sushi if available, drowned ourselves in Raman, and do anything else Asian we can at conventions.

I do appreciate the Con Suite, please don't get me wrong, but a concession stand is good for the con (money money money) and people love to eat. lol.

Ummm...crap, more people dancing would be good. lol, but what you going to do. MMMmmm....more hentai, Saturday night, it was hard to find good hentai, and when it's 3 am and your whipped, sometimes it's great to go bask in the garbage pyle that is Hentai.

Ok, anything left, oh yeah, Credit Cards for registration. no offence but I don't cary cash. If you need help with this, I will help, There are lots of ways to do it, and one of them, is to simply have a laptop there and use an online billing site, you take their card, access the internet, push in the numbers, and the amount. hit ok, they get a reciept and Pay.Com keeps the money in an account that you can either have them send you a check or wire transfer the money to your bank account. They bill 4% for a transaction, so simply bill us a little extra for using credit cards.

ok...I loved Youmicon, thanks for the good time, this is the hottest Sesshomaru and I am going to bed.
Hey mister, this here is the stairway to heaven, you know that doncha? -Frog
Obnoxious little frog. -Spike

ngsilver
Fan Art Theater DH

Re: Random Complaints from a Whiney Whiner

Postby ngsilver » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:39 am

diabloskh wrote:Ummm...also, I know you despise popular anime, I don't but pretentious people do, but you know what, many of those people paying 30$ a day, love Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Rurouni Kenshin, Naruto, FMA, so lets get some playing in the video rooms.

It's not that we despise popular anime. In fact, I can tell you that most of us LOVE popular anime. I mean, many of us began with the popular stuff. The main reson the shows that are licenced in the US didn't get shown this past year is because of licencing issues. It is a little difficult to get titles to show from companies. It's not impossible, I've done it for my Anime Club before, but it does take time. We are looking into getting titles and permissions to show them for next year, so don't worry. But this year it wasn't really practical. And the last thing we needed was to show a title without the companies permission and have them close us down.
diabloskh wrote:Also, cons can be scary for non hard cores, so when you pick a panel host, find one that doesn't try and make people feel stupid for not being able to read japanese. The panel host for the Full Metal Alchemist Panel said this, "Well people that watch the Anime tend to be dumber then those who read the Manga" That's a pretty bad thing to say to a room of people that have probably only seen the anime. Apreciation of anime in all forms should be respected, don't disrespect people because you watch the original japanese, or your a sub not a dub person.

This is something hard to do. For the most part when a panel host is picked it is because they submitted their information and it is their panel that they wanted to run. And often times the most contact we have with them is through emails mostly pertaining to information reguarding the content of their panel. We cannot know about their views about anime vs. manga or if they will make their attendance feel bad until it's too late and it's already been said. However, I'm sure if enough people were displeased with said panelist we will look into not having them back again next year.
diabloskh wrote:I do appreciate the Con Suite, please don't get me wrong, but a concession stand is good for the con (money money money) and people love to eat. lol.

I myself also love the idea of a concession stand of sorts. The only problem with that is passing the idea through the hotel management. The hotel itself has rules based off of fire codes and such reguarding the heating of food and things like that. We can look into the idea, but it is very likely that it just will not pass because of hotel rules, which even we must abide by. However, we are looking to improve upong the con suite for next year. We want to make it better and have everyone enjoy it.
diabloskh wrote:Ok, anything left, oh yeah, Credit Cards for registration. no offence but I don't cary cash. If you need help with this, I will help, There are lots of ways to do it, and one of them, is to simply have a laptop there and use an online billing site, you take their card, access the internet, push in the numbers, and the amount. hit ok, they get a reciept and Pay.Com keeps the money in an account that you can either have them send you a check or wire transfer the money to your bank account. They bill 4% for a transaction, so simply bill us a little extra for using credit cards.

I'm not sure of the practicality of this method. I don't goto many cons myself, but even the bigger ones that I attend, like Anime Central, don't accept credit card payments at the door. There is usually an ATM for cash, and we do accept checks and money orders as well as cash. However, we did accept payments online through paypal for which credit cards we able to be used. And we plan to contine to allow this. It is a good suggestion however, but in the end it all comes down to how easily and quickly the money becomes accessable after it is taken. Which of course, is all things we will have to consider before implementing something like this.

Thank you for your suggestions, we will look into them.

FlyingElf
First Anime: Slayers

Postby FlyingElf » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:20 am

Personally I thought the gaming room was huge for a first year con. Most of the smaller cons I've gone to, you're lucky if you get even most of what we had in gaming 2, much less a console room and 4 arcade machines in the other room. I think we had the biggest game room of any smaller con I've ever attended.

Though with that being said, next year I would like to expand a little on the game room. I wanna confirm more TVs in there so we can get a few more games going as well as try to find someone willing to lend us their computer for the weekend plus adapters that map the axis correctly so that we can run stepmania in addition to whatever dance game we get next year (ITG2 or 3 if its out most likely). So I am still looking to improve upon it a bit for next year, because well, theres always room for improvement.
Anime Punch!
http://www.animepunch.org

Shi

Postby Shi » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:02 pm

Nikolai wrote:
Lord Raiden wrote:Suggested improvement. Have a consession. Yes, have one room that's dedicated to food. Or at least one part of the convention. I've been to other cons where they have food on site and the money made can be used to help the con, and at the same time, it keeps us all from having to leave in search of food, lest we starve to death. :)

Hmm, actually, we did have a con suite with free food that didn't run short until late Saturday. I guess we didn't make it obvious enough. :\

lol, I didn't know there was a con suite with free food. That would really help my hunger until I could get something more. Maybe make it more obvious that there's a room with free food. I know we weren't suppose to live of con food but it'd really help.

Anyway, it's an awesome first con. And since this is also my first, I hope next year is even better. ^__________________^ Good luck.

hathor_sg1x

Postby hathor_sg1x » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:38 pm

lol, I didn't know there was a con suite with free food. That would really help my hunger until I could get something more. Maybe make it more obvious that there's a room with free food. I know we weren't suppose to live of con food but it'd really help.

Anyway, it's an awesome first con. And since this is also my first, I hope next year is even better. ^__________________^ Good luck.
[/quote]

My friend who went as Envy her and I spent 2 hours makeing a whole bag of bread dough into homemade pretzels lol we lived off my pretzels Saturday-Sunday. One bag of 5 frozen loafs made nearly 50 pretzels @.@. However it seemed like I got stuck lugging all the food around Saturday. I'm def. getting a hotel room at the con next year lol Just hope I can get some people who want to do the Star Wars Cosplay to chip in. Not staying at my friends place again it was a nightmare.

bar1scorpio
Artists' Alley ADH
First Anime: Robotech

Postby bar1scorpio » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:24 pm

Hokay-

On the dance- I'll agree with our member of armed services here. I already pu t my own complaint on the dance, but hey, I had fun... well... in the TECHNO ELEVATOR!

Techno Elevator! TECHNO ELEVATOR! Techno Elevator!

OPh hey, how about this for next year. Morgan in Gendo cosplay.
"The world can be saved by steam!" - Professor Steamhead

"TANSTAAFL -There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!" - Robert Heinlen

Cordelia LeFay

Postby Cordelia LeFay » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:27 pm

deepplum wrote:I did the J-fashion panel, and I'm hoping to do it again next year at Youmacon, as well as at some other cons. I'd be glad to hear more suggestions from you, but the pictures were a little tough becauswe I wanted to exemplify the styles.

I had toyed with the idea of a "photo montage" at the end. Would that be a good idea then? Who were you? Maybe I remember you :)

Ummm, I was sitting in the back, next to the Lolita/VK in blue lace with the oriental pattern.

Yeah, I think a photo montage at the end would be great!!
For cosplay commissions, check out this link!
http://www24.brinkster.com/sithkittie/portfolio.html

Bill-kun

Postby Bill-kun » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:38 am

Congrats for:

- Video game room! There were a lot of games for this, and I was impressed!

- Con in general. This was a huge success for a first-timer. You would never have known it was the first year given the smoothness that it ran with and the number of people. Guests were awesome, too. Bravo!!!

- Website and message boards. Prereg falls under this, too. The website was/is very simply laid out, and it's extremely easy to find what you are looking for. The message boards are the same way, and as any veteran con-goer knows, that is how you arrange all things like gatherings, hotel room sharing, and stuff like that. Bravo!

Rooms for improvement:

- Photo montage for the closing ceremony would be awesome! This would be very easy to do given current technology and editing programs. You could even just have Picture Viewer do a slideshow and play some music on a stereo. We used to do the same when I went to Boy Scout summer camp (practically before digital cameras were invented, so we used a slide projector) and it was a great close.

- Cosplay gatherings. Very good that the con took the initiative to schedule them. The balcony was a good place for it geographically, since it is out of the way of traffic. Anyone who's been to a major anime con knows that impromptu posings can sometimes jam a big hallway. However, being a photographer, I see the balcony as probably the least photogenic place to have it, and I bet there was little room for photogs to get wide-angle shots. The piece of art outside the lobby (which I now call the "Death Star") would be the ideal place for outdoor gatherings. Indoors, I don't know where the best location would be, though. Long shot: Maybe like at Star Wars Celebration III where there was a big hanging background scene, and have the gatherings at it in a large alcove.

- Flyer table somewhere in the foyer/lobby. It is in the best interests of cons to mutually promote each other. And the same table could be used for flyers and business cards for local things like anime stores, Japanese language courses, martial arts, and even swordfighting!

- Consuite needed way more food and drink. Unless there actually was more, but just when I wasn't there. I only knew of ramen, PB&J, the brief Pepsi on Friday night, a single bowl of Cheetos, and some apples. I don't know about anyone else, but between a consuite and the food I brought myself, that is how I sustain myself until Sunday dinner when I go out in full costume to a sit-down restaurant. (I love the Mundanes noticing us when we do.)

It's Gendo!!!
"Geekdom: The Anti-Drug."
Costumes: Indiana Jones, Tolkien elf, Ep. 1 and 4 Obi-Wan , Ep. 4 Luke, Ep. 6 Palpatine, schoolboy Shinji from Evangelion, plug suit Shinji, Gendou, Keitarou from Love Hina.

Bill-kun

Postby Bill-kun » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:57 am

Oh, yes, and I did very much notice the police officer in the lobby. That is definitely a good deterrent for peacebreakers, and good corrective action can be taken if the peace is broken. Good foresight. (Unless it was the hotel itself who asked for a boy in blue, in which case it's probably a dark light on us the con-goers?)

Frankly, I was surprised that he didn't do something about a crew of camo guys running very fast through the hotel with things that at a glance were actual rifles. Me seeing that did make me a bit nervous. :shock:

As for running in general at the speed they were, that is downright dangerous in a crowded hotel. There are accidents that do happen (ex.: smack someone else in the face with part of the rifle; trip and gouge yourself, etc.), and certainly not all humans are as resilient as some to collisions (read: children and elders, etc.). Please, no running in the halls like that, everyone. Safety is everyone's responsibility.
"Geekdom: The Anti-Drug."

Costumes: Indiana Jones, Tolkien elf, Ep. 1 and 4 Obi-Wan , Ep. 4 Luke, Ep. 6 Palpatine, schoolboy Shinji from Evangelion, plug suit Shinji, Gendou, Keitarou from Love Hina.

hathor_sg1x

Postby hathor_sg1x » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:06 am

Bill-kun wrote:Please, no running in the halls like that, everyone. Safety is everyone's responsibility.

That I have to agree with I came across a few people running around like wild chickens running from a fox in the coop. lets hope they don't put a ban on lightsabers next year lol otherwise we'll be defenseless Jedi with other 'crude' trinkets out to get us.

Obi-Wan: Whatever you do Anakin, do not lose your lightsaber!
Anakin: Of course master, but why can't I lose it?
Obi-Wan: Watch closely my padawan. -wacks Mace over the head with the butt end- It can be used to defend AND knock people out.
Anakin: -looks at Mace- I see master. May I try?
Obi-Wan: of course padawan.
Anakin: --wacks Obi-Wan over the head- Now kids do not try this at home I am a trained padawan/sith lord. Leave this to the pro's!

I think it would be wise we all follow Anakin's advice lol

Nikolai
First Anime: Inuyasha

Postby Nikolai » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:16 am

Bill-kun wrote:Cosplay gatherings. Very good that the con took the initiative to schedule them. The balcony was a good place for it geographically, since it is out of the way of traffic. However, being a photographer, I see the balcony as probably the least photogenic place to have it, and I bet there was little room for photogs to get wide-angle shots.

Yeah, I agree, it's not a fantastic place for photos. The unpredictable November weather was what put them inside, although the Naruto one moved out to the courtyard area. (The Death Star is probably too close to cars for a good photo shoot.) The hotel's too small to really have a better location in the future, but maybe it can be encouraged more to move outside when there's a good opportunity.

Return to “2005 Memories”