Suggestions on Improvements

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our first year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

Cordelia LeFay

Suggestions on Improvements

Postby Cordelia LeFay » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:28 pm

I'd also like to talk about what everyone would like see improved at Youmacon....please also mentioned what you think they did very well!!

What I liked:
~Even though I had to exit the VA panel early, before I left, it was announced the VAs could go on as long as they liked. That kicked ****. I wish I could have benefited from that!
~The variety of panels

Improvements:
~I immensely appreciate that I was chosen as a cosplay hall winner, but I was a little disappointed that I received Harry Potter post cards as a prize....it wasn't even anime. ;_;

~I didn't mind that the opening ceremonies were late....and I thought it was great that there were a lot of signs saying that the Eyeshine concert was pushed back.....but having the masquerade start an hour later than scheduled was brutal. Saturday is Crazy day and the last thing you want is a tired and cranky Cordelia waiting in line.

~More pictures in the J-fashion panel!!!

Hmmm...that's all I can think of at the moment!
For cosplay commissions, check out this link!
http://www24.brinkster.com/sithkittie/portfolio.html

Hikaru0
Artists' Alley DH
First Anime: Vampire Hunter D

Re: Suggestions on Improvements

Postby Hikaru0 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:45 am

Cordelia LeFay wrote:Improvements:
~I immensely appreciate that I was chosen as a cosplay hall winner, but I was a little disappointed that I received Harry Potter post cards as a prize....it wasn't even anime. ;_;

o_o wow, um, sorry you were dissapointed, originally you wouldn't have even gotton a prize. The prizes that went out were donations from me, because I felt bad that the 'best of' hall cosplayers were going to just get certificates. I personally went out and bought what I thought people would enjoy with money from my own pocket, thinking giving hall winners something extra would make the award more worthwhile.

I guess next time we'll just stick with certificates for everyone.

Lord Raiden

Postby Lord Raiden » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:29 am

Suggested improvement. Have a consession. Yes, have one room that's dedicated to food. Or at least one part of the convention. I've been to other cons where they have food on site and the money made can be used to help the con, and at the same time, it keeps us all from having to leave in search of food, lest we starve to death. :)

Just an FYI.

Nikolai
First Anime: Inuyasha

Postby Nikolai » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:11 am

Cordelia LeFay wrote:I didn't mind that the opening ceremonies were late....and I thought it was great that there were a lot of signs saying that the Eyeshine concert was pushed back.....but having the masquerade start an hour later than scheduled was brutal. Saturday is Crazy day and the last thing you want is a tired and cranky Cordelia waiting in line.

Yeah, the delays were the most obvious problem we had, but it should go smoother next year since we know how much time each event needs and other things that need to be done.

But hey, if there weren't delays for closing ceremonies, the VA panel would have ended on time, so maybe it's not all a bad thing. ;)

Lord Raiden wrote:Suggested improvement. Have a consession. Yes, have one room that's dedicated to food. Or at least one part of the convention. I've been to other cons where they have food on site and the money made can be used to help the con, and at the same time, it keeps us all from having to leave in search of food, lest we starve to death. :)

Hmm, actually, we did have a con suite with free food that didn't run short until late Saturday. I guess we didn't make it obvious enough. :\

Lord Raiden

Postby Lord Raiden » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:28 am

I was in there, but it seemed like they kept running out of food just before I got in there each time. Plus the room reminded me more of a rest stop than a food consession or anything like that. Plus chips and a few cokes don't count as consessions in my book. Maybe I'm just picky, but I like more.

Anne Packrat
First Anime: Ranma

Postby Anne Packrat » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:03 pm

Just for you youngins... Masquerades ALWAYS start late. It's the way of the world.

I'd suggest running the AMV winners (of if you don't have any, then just AMVs period) during the Cosplay halftime.
Anne Packrat
Chief Masquerade Yeller and Cosplay Registration

"If life gives you lemons make orange juice."

Cordelia LeFay

Re: Suggestions on Improvements

Postby Cordelia LeFay » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:36 pm

Hikaru0 wrote:
Cordelia LeFay wrote:Improvements:

o_o wow, um, sorry you were dissapointed, originally you wouldn't have even gotton a prize. The prizes that went out were donations from me, because I felt bad that the 'best of' hall cosplayers were going to just get certificates. I personally went out and bought what I thought people would enjoy with money from my own pocket, thinking giving hall winners something extra would make the award more worthwhile.

I guess next time we'll just stick with certificates for everyone.

Oh, please don't gett me wrong. I really do appreciate what you did, it's just well, I expected at least something that dealt with anime. ^_^;

Cordelia LeFay

Postby Cordelia LeFay » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:37 pm

Anne Packrat wrote:Just for you youngins... Masquerades ALWAYS start late. It's the way of the world.

I'd suggest running the AMV winners (of if you don't have any, then just AMVs period) during the Cosplay halftime.

The masquerade at CNA wasn't late. ^_^;

bar1scorpio
Artists' Alley ADH
First Anime: Robotech

Postby bar1scorpio » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:46 pm

- DJ. Um, didn't do requests, instead did a DDR-wannabe ultra mix that he kept repeating. Didn't play the Time Warp at midnight. Yeah, nitpicking, but that could be an explanation why there were only 10 people on the dance floor after 12:00. So yeah, new DJ.

- There is a place for food cheap inside the con. It's called the ConSuite. Little-known fact, I guess... He, how about this for improvements. Less Hot Dogs=More Ramen Cups.

- Swag/free crud/flyer table near reg. I'm guessing alot of the fan groups, stores & other cons can use one.

- No "Psycho Mom" next year.

- More Blankets. If Fort Blanket is ever going to survive out there in the middle of the indian territory of the old west, they must have more blankets!

- Add some Japanese LiveAction, maybe to the viewing room?
"The world can be saved by steam!" - Professor Steamhead

"TANSTAAFL -There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!" - Robert Heinlen

Nikolai

Postby Nikolai » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:15 pm

bar1scorpio wrote:Add some Japanese LiveAction, maybe to the viewing room?

Already planned for it.

deepplum

Postby deepplum » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:53 pm

I did the J-fashion panel, and I'm hoping to do it again next year at Youmacon, as well as at some other cons. I'd be glad to hear more suggestions from you, but the pictures were a little tough becauswe I wanted to exemplify the styles.

I had toyed with the idea of a "photo montage" at the end. Would that be a good idea then? Who were you? Maybe I remember you :)

ubersaurus

Postby ubersaurus » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:10 pm

Offhand I'd think maybe a wider variety of videos being played? Nothing that was airing really struck my fancy at first glance (though I did get into beat to death). The game room was kind of sparse when it came to games and the like, but then, the console room was kind of small, and the arcade room only had so many arcade games. You probably could have just merged them both together.

Knowing that Yuri Lowenthal was a guest was something I would've liked to have realized before the con ended, but that was kind of my fault. Next year though, I will be sure to make him talk of his time working on ILB!

Clearly next year I should run a panel about my trials and travails in Japan itself.
"The drums, the drums, the drums, the never-ending drumbeat. Open me, you human fool. Open the light and summon me and receive my majesty! "

"Two minutes to Belgium!"

Miki_KM
First Anime: Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics, Sailor Moon

Con suite

Postby Miki_KM » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:46 pm

the con suite was much appreciated!!! But PB and J or some bad cup o noodles were not all that great. I'm kinda poor (you know being in college and stuff....)....so i was living off of the con suite food for 3 days. My stomach yelled at me after that....... lol oh well do what you can.....i just like good food ^^
KoriStarfire
(The user name I have on these forums pre-dates my cosplay days! #ImOld)

FlyingElf
First Anime: Slayers

Postby FlyingElf » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:49 pm

As for merging the 2 game rooms, I personally would have loved to, but it would have been way too crowded. Plus I really wanted to avoid crowding the Pop'n Music/IIDX table and any of the arcade games at all cause of lines that may be forming to play them. So that kinda left only that back corner of the room which was supposed to originally be a stepmania setup that fell through because we didn't have a computer or a PS2 to USB converter that mapped the axis correctly.
Last edited by FlyingElf on Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anime Punch!
http://www.animepunch.org

Nikolai

Postby Nikolai » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:16 pm

Miki_KM wrote:the con suite was much appreciated!!! But PB and J or some bad cup o noodles were not all that great. I'm kinda poor (you know being in college and stuff....)....so i was living off of the con suite food for 3 days. My stomach yelled at me after that....... lol oh well do what you can.....i just like good food ^^

Well, technically you're not supposed to live entirely off the con suite... >_> We might be able to do something about the food variety though.

ubersaurus wrote:Offhand I'd think maybe a wider variety of videos being played? Nothing that was airing really struck my fancy at first glance (though I did get into beat to death).

Well, give me some examples of what kind of variety was missing and I'll fit something like them in next year. ^_^

Return to “2005 Memories”