Thanks youmacon!

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our first year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

ngsilver
Fan Art Theater DH
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Postby ngsilver » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:24 pm

I'm glad everyone enjoyed themselves. Believe me, there can be no better birthday present for me then to see all the smiling faces at the con enjoying themselves at my panels and programming as well as just having an overall good time.

I think I myself will be comming back next year. You all were great ^^ (attendees that is)

Belldandy
Fan Art Theater ADH General

Postby Belldandy » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:43 pm

Even though I didnt get to see alot of the con.
It amazed me to just hear how many good things people where saying about the con. Hearing all of your comments about how fun the con was this weekend really kept me going though out the weekend.

To all of you who came.
I Thank You from the bottom of my heart.

Negative Zero
Volunteering Staff

Postby Negative Zero » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:44 am

It was indeed a great con experience. With it being my first time working a con, i was a little nervous, but everything was cool. I hope to see everyone again next year.

When Fate has left me no choice, I shall Force my way!

The-Real-Link
Media Staff
First Anime: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Postby The-Real-Link » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:06 am

I also want to really thank the rest of the staff and attendees for their kind words and great attitudes!

In case some people didn't recognize me, I was the short guy with glasses and a big silver camera running just about everywhere taking photos (staff photography). If you were around after the masquerade Saturday or in the lobby Saturday night you might have seen me in the Link costume for the short while I was cosplaying.

Other than that, amazingly well-run for a first year con IMO and some lateness at the get-go is always expected. By late Friday though it seemed like everything smoothed out and I didn't see many other problems personally for the remaining time of my Youmacon experience.

I'm glad our entire staff was able to make such a good impression for almost all guests and attendees for our inaugural event! Many people and families I spoke to were either at their first con or cosplaying for the first time so it was great to see everyone enjoying themselves!

Missed the Shougi though... *cries*. The pics from that are excellent however, and I can just tell it must've been a blast!
The-Real-Link!!
Ceiling Cat

Sasuke

Postby Sasuke » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:27 am

Like The-Real-Link said: I also love to thank the attendees and staffs to make this an awesome con. Let's not forget about the guests too. They were spectacular. I'm hoping to see them again.

It seems like everybody enjoyed the con. I'm happy that everything worked out great. It was a great pleasure dealing with the guests. Most of you would reconize me. I'm the favorite chinese guy that the guests kept saying. :D And I'm the Sasuke Off Duty. And like Yuri said to me "You're Sasuke." LOL.

Son Goku
First Anime: Sailor Moon/Ronin Warriors

Postby Son Goku » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:16 am

Well you are Sasuke! ^___^ I thought you pulled him off AMAZINGLY! :D I was the Son Goku he said was "The best Goku EVER!" and kept telling me I am him too. WOO! Go me and you being THEE anime characters! *Grins and hugs*
::Cosplay::
Turbo from Wreck-it Ralph
Banette Gijinka from Pokemon
Karkat from Homestuck

FlyingElf
First Anime: Slayers

Postby FlyingElf » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:13 pm

Thank you all for taking the time and coming out to see us no matter how near or how far. I'm glad that it seems that everyone had such a great time. Everyone was great. Everyone was very friendly, both the attendees and the guests. It was fun to meet some new people as well as see a lot of old friends.

And to those who kept me company when I was pulling my all nighters in the game room, thank you very much. It made the night go by so much better.
Anime Punch!
http://www.animepunch.org

Cacille
Guest of Honor

Postby Cacille » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:06 pm

Hi everyone!
Thank you to everyone for the great welcome the Spoony Bards recieved. We had few problems cranking out great music, and got tons and tons of requests - something we love! It was great to even get some con members in on the action and let them sing or play a few songs with us.
One of the best parts is when Eyeshine joined us to sing a few songs. TONS of pictures are now available on the Fiery Panda website, as well as the Spoony Bards website (My photos are all together as a zip file of 34mb, the link is in the Forums.) http://www.legionofswordsmen.com/spoon/

If none of you remember me, you will when I mention the weird instrument I was playing - the big triangular stringed instrument called the Hammered Dulcimer. I was SO nervous as it was my first time playing in front of a crowd. After about 2 hours of playing, that fear went away, and I really got into playing around.

Thank you all for supporting us, we hope to be at next year's Youmacon. This was an AWESOME year for a first-year convention and we will be happy to come back again to play for everyone!
Spoony Bard: Rockin the Hammered Dulcimer - Anime Style!

Liss
Guest of Honor

Postby Liss » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:43 pm

We had an absolutely wonderful time. The staff, other guests, and attendees were all great. We loved the gaming and guessing who the cosplayers were. And having the Spoony Bards playing in the lobby really set the tone for the whole con- when the first thing you hear when you walk in in the Chocobo theme playing live, you know you're in for a good time :D

This was the frist anime con for my husband and I, and we could not have enjoyed it more!

-Liss Anez

DarkPriestess

Postby DarkPriestess » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:07 pm

This is my third time ever going to a con, and I must say it's been the best one I've been to so far!! I definatly plan on comming back next year, and the only "complaint" I have is that not as many people knew who my cosplay was. But that's to be expected when I pick something from a Super Nintendo game lol and my next cosplay I plan to do is going to be even less known, but oh well. ^_^

Everything was so well done and organized and ran smoothly there is no room for complaints. However maybe a small suggestion??

Since some people lose their programs or just never hang onto them, maybe a list should be updated beside the viewing rooms every 12 hours or so of what's supposed to be playing and what genre it is. Although.... it was funny when guys came into the 18+ room on Friday night expecting hentai and ran when they saw it was yaoi :twisted:

But Thank you everyone for all your hard work and for being so friendly!! ((and for not assuming we would spontanously combust at any given second just because we were standing still in one spot... unlike the LAST con I was at.... no names being given...))
Nina - Breath of Fire 2 (massive purple wings have been retired)
Jing - King of Bandits: Jing (retired for now)
Mushroom Girl Spar - Breath of Fire 2
Stalker - Ragnarok Online

NotDave
First Anime: Ronin Warriors

Postby NotDave » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:06 pm

I'll say it for all the other men:

It's hard to be a yuri fan boy surrounded by hundreds of yaoi fan girls.

Miki_KM
First Anime: Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics, Sailor Moon

AWESOME

Postby Miki_KM » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:39 pm

Youmacon rocked my socks off!!!!! woot!!!! That was an awesome first con experience!!!! squee i'll be comming home every year from MSU just to go to this! heh i'm already planning my next costume... muahahaha.....

.........SQUEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
KoriStarfire
(The user name I have on these forums pre-dates my cosplay days! #ImOld)

Bill-kun

Postby Bill-kun » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:26 pm

NotDave wrote:It's hard to be a yuri fan boy surrounded by hundreds of yaoi fan girls.

LOLOL! I honestly haven't seen either (although I do own the unopened Gravitation vol. 1), so I can't comment for myself, but that is a great quote!

Man, at the cosplay contest halftime show at Ohayoncon 2005, there was a piece or few of giveaways, and when the presenter mentioned that it was yaoi, I gaped as about four dozen screaming young cosplaying girls rushed the stage to get the loot! :shock: I wish I could draw girls like that! HAHAHAHA! :lol:

What is it with that, anyway? :o
"Geekdom: The Anti-Drug."
Costumes: Indiana Jones, Tolkien elf, Ep. 1 and 4 Obi-Wan , Ep. 4 Luke, Ep. 6 Palpatine, schoolboy Shinji from Evangelion, plug suit Shinji, Gendou, Keitarou from Love Hina.

hathor_sg1x
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Postby hathor_sg1x » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:34 am

I will say it again, I loved you guys! I can't wait for next year to go to this and I'm hopeing if all goes well I can drag my sister with me to enjoy herself and play some of the video games. I enjoyed the events I did get to attend and the FMA shoot was a hoot! :lol:
I loved the artist area and all the people in the room were wonderful to talk to, and one or two I talked to were quite funny. ^_^ The guests the con had to I was able to see on Saturday and Sunday were nice, and Vic's pants I loved @.@.
I know next year I'm getting a room at the hotel since it's about an hour and 30 minute drive from Richmond to the con plus since I'm a country bumpkin and not used to city drivers I think I'd feel safer staying nearby the hotel and with me never sleeping I can lurk the halls to my hearts content and watch movies or go hang out in the video game pannels and other things I missed on Friday.(*wails* I missed all the yaoiness!)
But I DID see Jedi and Sith on Sunday so I was happy to end the con on that final note lol and I did pick up some new friends and meet some people from the cosplay.com board such as Link, Kira, and Bill I have you on my stalking list! *glomps the padawan Kenobi*
All in all I WILL come next year! Even if I have to drive the John Deer tractor/ ride the horse I'm heading to youmacon!

FrenziedFury
Guest Relations Staff
First Anime: Spectreman

Postby FrenziedFury » Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:20 am

Hey, Bill-kun! This is the Sith lord that you posed with in front of the "Death Star" in front of the hotel! Please tell me you have those pictures done! I sooo wanna rotoscope them so our lightsabers look real!
Jayson D. Clarkson
Youmacon 2006 - 2011 Guest Relations ADH

I came here to kick **** and chew bubblegum... and my feet really hurt right now.

Return to “2005 Memories”