What did you have to eat at the con?

Includes photos, reports, and suggestions from our first year.

Moderator: Public Moderators

the female eiri yuki
Location: In front of the computer or in front of the art desk.

What did you have to eat at the con?

Postby the female eiri yuki » Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:35 pm

We wound up going to a Korean/Japanese restaurant on W. Maple about seven miles from the con. We ordered a hot pot dish with seafood. Now the menu said, "Two People." But what I think they meant was, "Two people trying to bulk up to be sumo wrestlers who have iron kettles for stomachs."
Let me tell you about this dish we had. First the waitress brought out 6-8 small dishes of various items. She explained what they were but, we didn't really follow what she was saying. We figured out that there was some sort of pickled cabbage dish, seaweed, bean sprouts, a mashed potato dish that tasted sweet and, as far as we were concerned, disgusting. There was a dish with some sort of meat and the last had who knows what on it. I just know it was rather tasteless and very hard to pick up. Then she brought out noodles and two bowls of rice.
Lastly (yes there was much more) there was a portable burner and a big pot of "seafood stew" (my own lable). In the "stew" there were things such as crabs (two whole crabs chopped in half), headless unpeeled shrimp, muscles (again whole) including clams, fish (whole fish minus the heads and chopped in half), squid pieces, and octopi tenticles. Yes, I said octopi tenticles. There were also many other questionable ingredients. Among the veggies were, what one helpful waiter refered to as, aliens. We deemed them alien heads. Very chewy. They popped in your mouth and oozed an odd sort of liquid. Now, I've had some wierd food in my life, squid and raw fish included but, this was totally unexpected.
I had an idea of what we were getting but not the amount, nor variety of oddities, that we got. Yes, I did try everything, most I actually enjoyed.
So. A few tips for future korean/japanese diners:
1. octopi tastes alright, if you can get past when the suckers break off and float around your mouth.
2. you should probably avoid the "alien heads" and if I even find out what they actually WERE you'd have a better chance.
3. the novelty of such an experience may outweigh the food but, it's DEFFINATELY worth trying. We were much amused!
Now I'll sit back and wait until my husband gets home and asks what's for dinner. Then I can tell him the leftovers are in the fridge and note his very probable outrageous reaction.

lyrikkal

Postby lyrikkal » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:43 pm

Haha. Am I supposed to be totally grossed out by the mentioning of octopi tentacles as food? I guess it could be because I'm 100% Korean, but that sounds pretty normal to me...

Friday was the only day I had to have a meal while at the con, (because I live nearby,) and I just ended up getting some sushi from Noble Fish, along with a Frappucino and some Pepero for desert later on. High school budgets are sadly very limited.

Son Goku
First Anime: Sailor Moon/Ronin Warriors

Postby Son Goku » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:36 am

Pocky, Pizza, Siera Mist(THANK YOU SANZO!! :oops: :D ), Salad, Sprite, Pepsi, Pocky, Tacos, Chicken Nugget, Pocky, Gum...and uhm.... hm, Doritos! :3 Yes.
::Cosplay::
Turbo from Wreck-it Ralph
Banette Gijinka from Pokemon
Karkat from Homestuck

selaphri

Postby selaphri » Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:03 pm

lyrikkal wrote:Haha. Am I supposed to be totally grossed out by the mentioning of octopi tentacles as food? I guess it could be because I'm 100% Korean, but that sounds pretty normal to me...

Friday was the only day I had to have a meal while at the con, (because I live nearby,) and I just ended up getting some sushi from Noble Fish, along with a Frappucino and some Pepero for desert later on. High school budgets are sadly very limited.

heh. sounds very similar to me. i'm also korean and ate at nobana for dinner on friday. o.o and my mom lives in troy (i went to troy high), but i'm a working girl living in ann arbor.

i wonder what the "alien heads" were though. ^^; i can't think of anything i know that they might be....

the female eiri yuki
Location: In front of the computer or in front of the art desk.

Postby the female eiri yuki » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:02 pm

lyrikkal wrote:Haha. Am I supposed to be totally grossed out by the mentioning of octopi tentacles as food? I guess it could be because I'm 100% Korean, but that sounds pretty normal to me...

I found it a completely unnatural texture lol but as for taste it wasn't bad : ) I'm glad I tried it!

Tatsuha
First Anime: Ranma 1/2

Postby Tatsuha » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:20 pm

I had Ram's Horn and Red Robin...

Not much. Period.

I was stuck in gaming all weekend.

Naiiki
First Anime: Pokemon

Postby Naiiki » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:00 pm

Poptarts, Wendy's, Little Caesars, pocky, Halloween candy, lots of ice cream, and cheese. (Yes, cheese, parmesan cheese. ^_^) As for drinks… water and milk.

I went out and home to eat, if my mom was willing to take me and my friends out.

NotDave
First Anime: Ronin Warriors

Postby NotDave » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:45 pm

I almost literally lived on cheetos that weekend.

Vucarik
Location: A town I wish a "renegade battalion from post-WWII Soviet Russia sent into the future" wou

Postby Vucarik » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:57 pm

I survived off of an unripened banana, mini-donuts, cheetos, and a cup of ramen from the con suite. Well, actually, the only food that I didnt get from the con suite was the mini-donuts... those werent Dave's.
"Masochistic Buddhism: Life can be suffering, but suffering can be fun."

*hunts for Duo*

{Cosplay} Kenshin-esque; Generic Soldier in Ghillie suit/The End/Oz Sniper

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:04 pm

Some snacks that I brought - little pineapple cups, granola bars, vanilla wafers, etc.

Also pizza, Bagel Factory (but they didn't have any fragels! :( ), and Coney Island.

And some pocky. I did quite well, all in all.

Miki_KM
First Anime: Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics, Sailor Moon

Postby Miki_KM » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:13 pm

lyrikkal wrote:High school budgets are sadly very limited.

College student budgets are even more limited.....
i drank water with a (yes just one) hot dog, some chips, pb and j, a few bites of nast cup o noodles and thats about it. i had a LOT of water tho.... my digestive system b*tched at me later. lol
KoriStarfire
(The user name I have on these forums pre-dates my cosplay days! #ImOld)

KatharineFaith

Postby KatharineFaith » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:53 pm

My friend Dana (who cosplayed as Ten-Ten and Sasuke) and I brought food with us. We retreated to our hotel room about every four hours or so and chowed on the following:

Turkey sandwiches
Balogna sandwiches
Lays' sour cream 'n onion chips
Pringles
Little Debbie snack cakes
Pizza Lunchables
Coca-Cola (me)
Diet red pop (her)

I also ate some ramen from the con suite (I'm sure some of you remember that conversation--hee hee hee!), and we splurged on Chinese Sunday afternoon.

Yep. We were livin' in style, I tell ya... 8)

Gato Gurl914

Postby Gato Gurl914 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:50 am

my dad and i found a rally's REAAAAAALLLY far away from the con
08 Cosplay-
Dawn/Hikari-Pokemon-100%
Light Yagami the Woman-Death Note- 50%

Kyora

Postby Kyora » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:33 pm

...I brought a box of Pocky from home. xD;

Roxas
First Anime: Digimon

Postby Roxas » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:05 pm

Yeah,definately looks like most of us rationed stavation that weekend.I ate when others bought pocky and decided to share,but that's mostly it.I never spend my sparse cash on food when I could be buying anime with it instead.
ShortSpike Productions

www.facebook.com/shortspike

Return to “2005 Memories”