Looking for opinions on other conventions

Discussion and promotion of events besides Youmacon. Read the rules inside for restrictions on starting new threads.

Moderator: Public Moderators

Machi-chan
First Anime: Fruits Basket

Looking for opinions on other conventions

Postby Machi-chan » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:08 pm

So, i have only ever been to Youmacon, which is pretty sad considering this is my 6th year. (You'd think I'd have gone to another con by now, but something keeps getting in the way.) I had an AMAZING Youmacon this year, though, and I want to get new cosplay and wear them somewhere and just experience conventions again. I can't wait a full year.
However, between not having loads of money to waste (spent my summer in Japan, spent all my money lmao) and having college classes and work (so limited amounts of days I can afford to take off) I really can't go to all the conventions my friends are going to this year. I'd love to maybe do two more, but I'm thinking I'll have to just plan on only being able to do one more.

So the question is, after Youmacon (or maybe you like one even more than Youmacon) what convention is your favorite, and why? (Also, try and stick within Michigan and Ohio. I most likely won't be traveling farther unless a friend decides to and lets me hitch a ride.)

I'd love to hear you compare the other convention to Youmacon (pros and cons of each) or even to other cons I could potentially go to. There is really no way to KNOW I picked "the best" but I'd really like it to be amazing and I think it's way more telling what con-goers have to say than what the conventions website has to say.
Check out "idol BEATS Radio", the best place to listen to the Jpop idols of today!
http://idolbeatsradio.blogspot.com
There is a chance to win a free idol CD of your choice (29 choices!) so enter the giveaway by November 10th!

lemonade
First Anime: Digimon

Re: Looking for opinions on other conventions

Postby lemonade » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:21 pm

I've only recently started expanding my con lineup (it's usually just Youma and Anime North for me), but I had a really good time at Colossalcon this year! In comparison to Youmacon, Colossalcon is much smaller, but the venue is amazing, particularly if you enjoy doing cosplay photoshoots and whatnot. (Plus, waterpark!) One thing I did notice while at Colossal though was that the crowd tended to be a bit older and slightly more party-oriented than other cons I'd been too. If that's not your kind of thing, I don't think it would be an issue as there's lots of other things to do at the con centre. I'd definitely recommend checking it out if given the opportunity though!
Youmacon 2015
Thurs: Eli Ayase (PJs) - Love Live!
Fri [Day]: Chiyo Sakura - Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Fri [Evening]: Asuka Langley (Halloween) - Evangelion
Sat: Takane Shijou (My Dear Vampire) - The iDOLM@STER
Sun: Yukirin the 6th (Halloween) - AKB0048

ketchupgirl
First Anime: FMA

Postby ketchupgirl » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:59 pm

I second the above poster- Colossalcon is awesome, if crowded. I've only been once but they had a good guest line-up, a really great panel selection, and some cool things that Youmacon doesn't have (like a flea market.)

I also like Go! Daiko-con, though it is tiny (no more than a couple hundred people I think) so if you're looking for a big event it's not for you.

Sub Zippo
Platinum Attendee
First Anime: Speed Racer

Postby Sub Zippo » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:07 pm

Shutocon is the only con I've encountered that can hold a candle to Youma. I get sick of their tired and arrogant 'safe-space' rhetoric but the rest of the con is gold. They've had some great bands there and I'm eager to see what they can do with the whole Lan Cen to themselves this year.
Con pics on facebook http://www.facebook.com/nateyork82/photos_albums
Con videos on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/subzippo

Kip
First Anime: Samurai Pizza Cats

Postby Kip » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:55 pm

Sub Zippo wrote:Shutocon is the only con I've encountered that can hold a candle to Youma. I get sick of their tired and arrogant 'safe-space' rhetoric but the rest of the con is gold. They've had some great bands there and I'm eager to see what they can do with the whole Lan Cen to themselves this year.

Wow, really? Because we're serious and earnest about being a Safe Space. This is something our entire staff is adamant and concerned about.
How often do you have to hear about it that it really bothers you?
Cosplays
'15:
TBD

Whoo859
First Anime: Dragonball Z

Postby Whoo859 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:49 pm

Anime Central is always great, albeit crowded as **** (heh).

The big downside food-wise is that, unfortunately, there are very-few places to grab a quick bite within at least a few-mile radius, which is esp. sucky if you didn't bring a car. There's the Expoteria, which is great but... kind of limited choice-wise, let's be honest. I suppose you could buy the occasional grub from those food trays in the Hyatt, but that probably stops around 8 or 9 pm. And room service in most hotels only lasts til 11 or maybe midnight, I think. If you're a long con-stayer like I am, you probably won't be back to your room for the night until at least 2 or 3 am.

The main con area (Stephens Convention Center and Hyatt) is, luckily, surrounded by a SHITLOAD of hotels on both sides. Crowne Plaza is ok but probably very-overpriced considering how *average* it actually is. Westin isn't much better but not bad, either. Hyatt is probably your best bet, esp. since it's *right where the con is*. Or the Doubletree or Hilton, which are also pretty close to the con festivities, I think

Be super careful crossing the road, though, esp. if you have one of the farther hotels from the con area- a lot of the drivers there are maniacs, and it's not the most pedestrian-friendly setup at the intersections, unfortunately. You REALLY have to strategize or walk behind a few people or crowd of other people walking from one part of the sidewalk to another to ensure you don't get hit. Although there's also a fair share of moronic pedestrian con-goers who go *whenever they feel it's "ok", regardless*.

Whoo859
First Anime: Dragonball Z

Postby Whoo859 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:01 am

Kip wrote:
Sub Zippo wrote:Shutocon is the only con I've encountered that can hold a candle to Youma. I get sick of their tired and arrogant 'safe-space' rhetoric but the rest of the con is gold. They've had some great bands there and I'm eager to see what they can do with the whole Lan Cen to themselves this year.

Wow, really? Because we're serious and earnest about being a Safe Space. This is something our entire staff is adamant and concerned about.
How often do you have to hear about it that it really bothers you?

I don't get how trying to make things better and more-comfortable for historically-oppressed or harassed groups is "arrogant." lol
Perhaps you, as a white, cisgendered male, don't "get why it's necessary", but until society is truly equal, and certain segments of society quit treating others with a huge lack of respect and decency based on superficial characteristics like skin color, sexual orientation and religion, it's gonna be necessary for a while. You yourself may not "contribute" to the problem(s), but by calling these measures "arrogant", you are kind of adding to it. Besides, as a presumably white, cisgendered (possibly straight) male (which I am, too, heh, although bi), you practically have "safe spaces" *everywhere* in the Western world! And much of the non-Western world, too

Damien_Damien
First Anime: Fullmetal Alchemist

Postby Damien_Damien » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:41 am

The only con I regularly hit besides Youmacon is a little one-day event at Bowling Green University called Animarathon. It's only about five or ten bucks for a badge, and it's really fun. It was actually my first con I ever went to, back in high school. I don't think I'd recommend it if you're far enough that you'd have to get a hotel room, but if you live in/have friends or family you can bum a couch from in the area, I'd definitely say to check it out.

Return to “Other Cons, Events, and Gatherings”