Obscure and/or Less-Mainstream Anime Fan Gathering

Discussion and promotion of events besides Youmacon. Read the rules inside for restrictions on starting new threads.

Moderator: Public Moderators

Whoo859
First Anime: Dragonball Z

Obscure and/or Less-Mainstream Anime Fan Gathering

Postby Whoo859 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:48 pm

So... I dunno about you, but, as fun as cons are generally, I can sometimes feel 'smothered' by the 'oversaturation' of a lot of mainstream, generic and popular series.

esp. the shonen ones

Now, don't get me wrong- there's nothing wrong with a series being mainstream or popular if it's good. Hell, I like some series that are (or at least, were) mainstream (e.g. Dragonball Z) and popular myself! However... it seems that quite a few of my preferred series nowadays aren't quite as mainstream or popular, esp. in the West (e.g. The Wallflower, Kimi Ni Todoke, Monster, Nana, Hana Yori Dango, Honey and Clover). And with that "ubiquity" of mainstream and popular anime at cons comes feelings of extreme difficulty, at times, finding fellow anime fans who are into shows like the ones I mentioned earlier. ;) esp. on short notice and when you're, say, in a rush to get from one panel to the next in 10 or 15 min., esp. if the panels are far away.

and this esp. applies to the dealer room, where mainstream anime merch seem to VASTLY outnumber unmainstream or less-mainstream ones, almost making fans like me feel "irrelevant", at times

Of course, I'm not so naive as to not understand, at the very least, the industry and marketing aspects of this whole equation. Obviously, people are going to sell more of what itself sells, rather than take a chance on a bunch of crap that won't make them much at all.

But, in that regard, it would be nice to see a bit more representation nonetheless.

What say you guys? anyone interested?? I'm pretty flexible about specifics (e.g. time and place) regarding this gathering; as long as plenty of us can get together, share less-mainstream/obscure anime preferences, discuss, etc., it should be a great time :D

Raiji Magiwind
Platinum Attendee
First Anime: Old School Gundam...:)

Re: Obscure and/or Less-Mainstream Anime Fan Gathering

Postby Raiji Magiwind » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:38 pm

I assume your referring to a meetup for a group to get together and have fun watching and enjoying older stuff....

Though if your looking for a cosplay shoot and stuff of this vein, a shoot already takes place for just such stuff...Rare, Obscure, Original is its name and this year will be the 6th year I host it. Your welcome to come join us if you like...;)
Raiji's Scrib'd Shelf
--Go to my Scrib'd for the YoumaLingo Dictionary, Glomp Commandments and other fun stuff...

Whoo859
First Anime: Dragonball Z

Re: Obscure and/or Less-Mainstream Anime Fan Gathering

Postby Whoo859 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:30 am

I'm afraid I don't have a cosplay this Youma, for starters... :| And the gathering can be whatever "we" (me and whoever else shows up) want it to be- be it watching obscure and/or "old" anime, discussing said anime, you name it

I'm pretty flexible about this. It'd just be nice to meet up with a bunch of fans of obscure and less-/non-mainstream anime to find common ground and whatnot. :)

Return to “Other Cons, Events, and Gatherings”