Youmacon 2012 Forum Meet-up

Discussion and promotion of events besides Youmacon. Read the rules inside for restrictions on starting new threads.

Moderator: Public Moderators

WiccanWing
First Anime: Code Lyoko

Youmacon 2012 Forum Meet-up

Postby WiccanWing » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:55 pm

So I've been trying to find people/friends willing to meet up at Youmacon in November.
Also, is there a 2 day pass.. as in Friday + Saturday?
Youmacon 2013, can't wait!

EdrickV
First Anime: Robotech

Re: Youmacon 2012 Forum Meet-up

Postby EdrickV » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:16 pm

There are no two day passes. I am of course up for doing a Meet-Up at the convention. (I was the one hosting Meet-Ups last year.) Keep in mind that right now it's so early that a lot of people aren't likely even visiting the forums yet. They'll get a /lot/ more active closer to the convention.

One of the potential issues with doing a Meet-Up in public space (which is how I did it and what I would recommend doing) is to have some way of identifying who is actually there for the Meet-Up. For 2011 I printed up a table tent style sign to use. (Non-convention Meet-Ups are easier to do this way, people can just wear their Youmacon badges.)

Another potential obstacle will be the timing. Not everyone will be at the convention all 4 days, and people will be doing all sorts of different things so it can be hard to find times for people to get together. (I tried doing two Meet-Ups last year, one Thursday night, when there was not a lot of stuff going on, and one on Sunday when there wasn't much going on that I was interested in. Nobody really showed up to the one on Sunday.)
Youmacon 2012 Pictures: viewtopic.php?p=266173#p266173
Youmacon 2012 Costumes:
FF1 Red Mage, Pokemon Scientist Trainer from B/W
Pictures include Pokemon, Final Fantasy, CLAMP, photoshoots and Misc. pics

Mike12833
First Anime: D. N. Angel

Postby Mike12833 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:20 pm

EdrickV wrote:There are no two day passes. I am of course up for doing a Meet-Up at the convention. (I was the one hosting Meet-Ups last year.) Keep in mind that right now it's so early that a lot of people aren't likely even visiting the forums yet. They'll get a /lot/ more active closer to the convention.

One of the potential issues with doing a Meet-Up in public space (which is how I did it and what I would recommend doing) is to have some way of identifying who is actually there for the Meet-Up. For 2011 I printed up a table tent style sign to use. (Non-convention Meet-Ups are easier to do this way, people can just wear their Youmacon badges.)

Another potential obstacle will be the timing. Not everyone will be at the convention all 4 days, and people will be doing all sorts of different things so it can be hard to find times for people to get together. (I tried doing two Meet-Ups last year, one Thursday night, when there was not a lot of stuff going on, and one on Sunday when there wasn't much going on that I was interested in. Nobody really showed up to the one on Sunday.)

that's the thing that i don't like xD its early so ppl rarely get on yet this is like my favorite site. xDDD
-Youmacon 2015-

--Going to the Anime Convention Reviews meet-up

Reichan

Postby Reichan » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:30 am

Mike12833 wrote:
EdrickV wrote:There are no two day passes. I am of course up for doing a Meet-Up at the convention. (I was the one hosting Meet-Ups last year.) Keep in mind that right now it's so early that a lot of people aren't likely even visiting the forums yet. They'll get a /lot/ more active closer to the convention.

that's the thing that i don't like xD its early so ppl rarely get on yet this is like my favorite site. xDDD

sometimes I forget about the forums for months at a time D:
2011 Cosplays!!
- Fon Master Ion (Tales of the Abyss)
- Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji)

http://reizechan.deviantart.com/ & http://www.facebook.com/#!/nicole.krumm

Black L
First Anime: Pokemon

Postby Black L » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:48 pm

So the forum meet up when should we do it
Ah here it goes.

Cosplays for youmacon X

L (death Note)

Dudley or SF OC(Street fighter)

Pokemon Trainer

EdrickV

Postby EdrickV » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:32 pm

Planning exactly when to do an at-con meet-up would probably have to be done after the schedule comes out. (Which likely won't be till near the end of October.) Until the schedule is out we won't know what we'll be doing when. Historically speaking, Thursday night/early Friday morning is usually a good time for something like this as it has the least amount of stuff going on. But not everyone will be there Thursday. Late at night/really early morning there may not be as much stuff going on, but some of the stuff that does go on (like the dances) are big events.
Youmacon 2012 Costumes:

Wade(Tom Cruz)Wilson
First Anime: Bobobo.....

Postby Wade(Tom Cruz)Wilson » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:59 pm

I wouldn't mind meeting some people!
"Concussion grenade.... ouch.... healing factor... the old pain receptors... constantly shuffling... letting me... absorb... the blast... but now...

TALKING... LIKE... SHATNER..." - Wadey

Max or May
First Anime: Naruto or Sailor Moon

Postby Max or May » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:02 pm

Owo This is the sorta thing I was looking for. . . So. . . I'm going to just leave this message here *sets message down* And~. . . Check back regularly!

But i wouldn't mind a Thursday meet-up cause. . . Ya know. . . a lot of people show up on Thursday even if they don't get the pre-reg ticket. . . . I'll be there though. . . Cause I'm just ninja like that. . .'3' . . . I'm going to leave now.

EdrickV

Postby EdrickV » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:10 pm

If the topic creator doesn't end up doing one at the convention, I might try doing it again. (Or might try doing one or more additional meet-ups even if he does.) On the one hand, Thursday night is a good night to do stuff like this as there is relatively little programming going on, so less to conflict with. On the other hand, a lot of people won't likely be there yet.
Youmacon 2012 Costumes:

Marek Bloodrage
First Anime: Dragon Ball

Postby Marek Bloodrage » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:15 am

I think it's a great idea as well, this will be my second time attending and would be nice chatting with other like minded individuals.
Insomnia...1:AM Youtube.....3:AM TV...5:AM Facebook....Work 6:30 AM.... F***!

EdrickV

Postby EdrickV » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:09 pm

I figure it's time to revive this thread now that the schedules are out. Does anyone have any preferences on times to do a meet-up? For me I've got time late night/early mornings, Friday morning, most of Sunday, and am toying with the idea of trying to do a meet-up at the cosplay PJ party.
Youmacon 2012 Costumes:

Return to “Other Cons, Events, and Gatherings”