Heroes of Cosplay

Other topics not relating to Youmacon and general conversations.

Moderator: Public Moderators

ki_chan
First Anime: Sailormoon

Re: Heroes of Cosplay

Postby ki_chan » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:09 pm

I like how these shows open the world up to these hobbies that were otherwise once seen as weird. I remember when I first started going to cons, my mom was like "Oh my ****... what is this...?" She was completely weirded out by it. Now when she sees a cosplayer, she's like "I saw some of your people! :D "

One of my professors in college right now is sort of interested in it. He doesn't do conventions, and he's not the geekiest out there, but he saw the show and gained an understanding of it and now he wants to try it out some time.

If anything, it's good for that.

ISOS_Duke
Platinum Attendee
First Anime: Tokyo Mew Mew/Pokemon

Postby ISOS_Duke » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:15 am

My boyfriend was recently caught up at work talking to an art teacher (he's an IT guy for the local school district) and she had seen the show. She didn't know what cosplay was before hand and the show didn't help her any either, she actually looked down a bit on the hobby because of it. I believe she's involved in the theatre with her school and asked what the point was to poorly dress up like something that you look nothing like and your acting skills can't pass you off as them. I told my boyfriend that once my costume is done that we should pay her a visit.

He tried to explain it to her a bit, she thought it was kind of neat but still looks at it in the 'so you dress up as something that you can never be' mentality.
Cosplays
2015 - Mega Rayquaza (Pokemon)
2015 - Inquisitor Levallen (Dragon Age Inquisition)
2014 -Queen Elsa (Frozen)
2013 - Ruby (RWBY)

ki_chan
First Anime: Sailormoon

Postby ki_chan » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:01 pm

ISOS_Duke wrote:My boyfriend was recently caught up at work talking to an art teacher (he's an IT guy for the local school district) and she had seen the show. She didn't know what cosplay was before hand and the show didn't help her any either, she actually looked down a bit on the hobby because of it. I believe she's involved in the theatre with her school and asked what the point was to poorly dress up like something that you look nothing like and your acting skills can't pass you off as them. I told my boyfriend that once my costume is done that we should pay her a visit.

He tried to explain it to her a bit, she thought it was kind of neat but still looks at it in the 'so you dress up as something that you can never be' mentality.

I don't see how she could have gotten that impression from the show... all of the people involved do a great job at portraying the characters they choose to dress up as. Even if they don't look like them their costumes are professional... on par with theatre, if not better, many of them aspire to make movie props and costumes. My professor was also involved in theatre for about 20 years, before he switched over and his thing was making costumes and he thought their skills were amazing. I think she may have just been jealous that these people do it merely for a hobby and do better than some who do it for a career :roll:

Not to mention, most of them actually follow the philosophy of only dressing up as characters you could physically resemble. Only one so far from what I see defends dressing up for fun, whether you look like them or not. I think that's unfortunate, but it's probably a harsh reality with some of the bigger cosplayers.

ISOS_Duke
Platinum Attendee
First Anime: Tokyo Mew Mew/Pokemon

Postby ISOS_Duke » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:41 pm

ki_chan wrote:I don't see how she could have gotten that impression from the show... all of the people involved do a great job at portraying the characters they choose to dress up as. Even if they don't look like them their costumes are professional... on par with theatre, if not better, many of them aspire to make movie props and costumes. My professor was also involved in theatre for about 20 years, before he switched over and his thing was making costumes and he thought their skills were amazing. I think she may have just been jealous that these people do it merely for a hobby and do better than some who do it for a career :roll:

Not to mention, most of them actually follow the philosophy of only dressing up as characters you could physically resemble. Only one so far from what I see defends dressing up for fun, whether you look like them or not. I think that's unfortunate, but it's probably a harsh reality with some of the bigger cosplayers.

I'm not too sure how she got that impression, but it was a while later that I heard it so who knows how accurate the whole conversation I got was XP I could definitely see the jealously thing making it seem like that and it would be interesting to actually hear her view of it all.

It would have been nice if the show really did focus more on cosplay and what it was that way people don't look at it as 'you dress up as something you could never be' because that in and of itself seems pretty harsh too >.>
Cosplays
2015 - Mega Rayquaza (Pokemon)
2015 - Inquisitor Levallen (Dragon Age Inquisition)
2014 -Queen Elsa (Frozen)
2013 - Ruby (RWBY)

Return to “Can't Sleep, Con Will Eat Me...”