im confused

Other topics not relating to Youmacon and general conversations.

Moderator: Public Moderators

cascade
First Anime: pokemon

im confused

Postby cascade » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:07 am

on the youmacon main page it says youmacon is a con for japanese manga and anime and video games. over the recent years (mainly 2012 and 2013) i been seeing alot of American comic heros (batman, superman and green Lantern) at a con for JAPANESEE comics. i dont mean to sound rude but ar people confused? this is youmacon. NOT comic con. Last year someone stuck a makshift Green Lantern ring on the joe louis fist and a Green Lantern cosplayer stood up there posng as if it was his fist coming from his ring. though it was a neat idea it falls under a thing called VANDALISIM. and also whats with all the My Little Pony all a sudden? how did this invade youmacon so badly? i noticed half the con was dedicated to this which to me killed alot of experiance. i just think we should just stick strictly to japanese originated animes and mangas. after all thats what youmacon was meant for right? all in favor say aye :fingerscrossed:
06: Pokemon Trainer
08: Yugi Moto
11: Edward Elric
12: Vampire Hunter D

Radman
First Anime: DBZ

Re: im confused

Postby Radman » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:01 am

I sometimes go to cons not interested in the 'theme' of it. A lot of people do as well. Why do you feel the need to restrict those who don't have interest in the theme of a con? Maybe they come just for the experience. Maybe they come to meet others who can help them learn about the anime fandom. Those are my main reasons for going. Half the anime/manga's I've seen mentioned in this forum I've never even heard of, but I want to know about them a bit. Don't try and exclude people who don't have a true love for a fandom because they don't know a lot about it!

torinkerr
First Anime: D. Gray-man

Postby torinkerr » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:21 pm

I happen to like seeing Batman wandering around with the anime characters! :D Dressing up is fun even if someone isn't an anime fan. I think a lot of the time people drag their friends or relatives to the con with them, who may like American series better than anime. I don't mind that those fans want to enjoy themselves too.

lemonade
First Anime: Digimon

Postby lemonade » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:01 pm

My favourite part about cons is that you can basically do, or be, whatever you'd like; you can be an anime character, a superhero, a pony, or whatever else you might dream up (I once saw a Billy Mays cosplayer at a con, among other things). You can also go to panels for kinks, for writing, for specific shows/fandoms, or for tutorial. Con events can represent music, industry, and pure entertainment.

Why restrict that? Why be exclusive and hold people back from expressing what they enjoy?
Youmacon 2015
Thurs: Eli Ayase (PJs) - Love Live!
Fri [Day]: Chiyo Sakura - Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Fri [Evening]: Asuka Langley (Halloween) - Evangelion
Sat: Takane Shijou (My Dear Vampire) - The iDOLM@STER
Sun: Yukirin the 6th (Halloween) - AKB0048

Noah
First Anime: dbz

Postby Noah » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:52 am

People cosplay as whatever.

Even when it was still an anime centric con, I still saw superheroes. I saw a guy with Mt. Dew boxes taped around every inch of his body.

Richard
First Anime: おとぎマンガカレンダー

Postby Richard » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:42 am

GLORIOUS
NIPPON

cascade

Postby cascade » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:29 pm

lemonade wrote:My favourite part about cons is that you can basically do, or be, whatever you'd like; you can be an anime character, a superhero, a pony, or whatever else you might dream up (I once saw a Billy Mays cosplayer at a con, among other things). You can also go to panels for kinks, for writing, for specific shows/fandoms, or for tutorial. Con events can represent music, industry, and pure entertainment.

Why restrict that? Why be exclusive and hold people back from expressing what they enjoy?

cause its not what its about. imagine you make something for anime and manga and its flodded with american comics and cartoons

PifflePrincess
First Anime: Fullmetal Alchemist

Postby PifflePrincess » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:19 pm

You can't tell anyone what they should be cosplaying, it's their own choice. Yes, Youmacon is mainly a Japanese media convention, but we welcome cosplayers of all fandoms, be it Doctor Who, or Homestuck, or My Little Pony. Nobody should be shunning anybody who is cosplaying something else. I've seen people who wear generic, store bought, Halloween costumes to Youmacon and nobody tells them that they're wrong.

If you want, you can show up to the con and tell every person cosplaying as a character from a non-Japanese game or show that they shouldn't be cosplaying who they are, then have fun. Just be prepared to be laughed at, and (if the person gets mad) yelled at, because they don't give a **** about your opinion.

Even if the con had rules that every cosplayer has to be cosplaying a character of Japanese origin, there would be no way to enforce it, you can't just tell someone dressed as Batman or Pinkie Pie to either get a new cosplay or go home. There are far too many of them and they have every right to cosplay what they want. As long as their costume is appropriate and inoffensive, they can wear whatever they want.
Cosplay Plans
Bee - Bee and Puppycat
Cornet Espoir - Rhapsody A Musical Adventure

lemonade
First Anime: Digimon

Postby lemonade » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:41 am

cascade wrote:
lemonade wrote:My favourite part about cons is that you can basically do, or be, whatever you'd like; you can be an anime character, a superhero, a pony, or whatever else you might dream up (I once saw a Billy Mays cosplayer at a con, among other things). You can also go to panels for kinks, for writing, for specific shows/fandoms, or for tutorial. Con events can represent music, industry, and pure entertainment.

cause its not what its about. imagine you make something for anime and manga and its flodded with american comics and cartoons

Then where do you draw the line? What about lolita fashion? It's Japanese, but it's definitely not "anime and manga" so I guess that shouldn't be allowed either. Steampunk? What about costumes that are inaccurate, or original designs? Should those not be allowed as well, since they didn't come from the original anime/manga source?

Cosplay should be for everyone. At the end of the day, we're all just "geeks in costumes" so I don't see why it should be kept segregated.
Youmacon 2015
Thurs: Eli Ayase (PJs) - Love Live!
Fri [Day]: Chiyo Sakura - Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Fri [Evening]: Asuka Langley (Halloween) - Evangelion
Sat: Takane Shijou (My Dear Vampire) - The iDOLM@STER
Sun: Yukirin the 6th (Halloween) - AKB0048

cascade

Postby cascade » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:17 pm

lemonade wrote:
cascade wrote:

Then where do you draw the line? What about lolita fashion? It's Japanese, but it's definitely not "anime and manga" so I guess that shouldn't be allowed either. Steampunk? What about costumes that are inaccurate, or original designs? Should those not be allowed as well, since they didn't come from the original anime/manga source?

Cosplay should be for everyone. At the end of the day, we're all just "geeks in costumes" so I don't see why it should be kept segregated.
you make a valid point. its just when i started youmacon there was little to almost no american superheros and there was no my little pony. now as i said half the con is dedicated to ponys and a quarter of it is marvel/dc heros and villans. it just confuses me on where things got switched around

FenRir TenHoor
Platinum Attendee
First Anime: Salior Moon

Postby FenRir TenHoor » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:40 pm

cascade wrote:you make a valid point. its just when i started youmacon there was little to almost no american superheros and there was no my little pony. now as i said half the con is dedicated to ponys and a quarter of it is marvel/dc heros and villans. it just confuses me on where things got switched around

Why even think about it? Dress as you want, go see the geeks, laugh with us, play with us, drink with us, eat with us, have fun with us. So many people are a part of more then one fandom, just allow them to be themselves, or in this case someone else?

heavens-punisher
First Anime: either Voltron or Sailor moon

Postby heavens-punisher » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:07 pm

FenRir TenHoor wrote:
cascade wrote:you make a valid point. its just when i started youmacon there was little to almost no american superheros and there was no my little pony. now as i said half the con is dedicated to ponys and a quarter of it is marvel/dc heros and villans. it just confuses me on where things got switched around

Why even think about it? Dress as you want, go see the geeks, laugh with us, play with us, drink with us, eat with us, have fun with us. So many people are a part of more then one fandom, just allow them to be themselves, or in this case someone else?
you just reminded me of Thor when he says "he fought he ate he drank, he made his ancestors proud" lol :brofist:

Amforsythe
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Postby Amforsythe » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:13 am

People wear Star Wars costumes to the Renaissance Festival. I don't have a problem with it, it's fun.

I probably won't get my actual "related" costume done, so I'll just wear something else. Might as well - I'm sure it will make someone happy. :)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

feuerwerke
First Anime: Tenchi Muyo

Postby feuerwerke » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:13 am

Cons don't have dress codes (beyond make sure what you're wearing is legal). Get over it.

acrosstheuniverse
First Anime: Sailor Moon

Postby acrosstheuniverse » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:23 am

heavens-punisher wrote:
FenRir TenHoor wrote:

you just reminded me of Thor when he says "he fought he ate he drank, he made his ancestors proud" lol :brofist:

haha! maybe that's what we all need to do. go out to a bar and make our ancestors proud so we all end the night as comrades (omg this sounds so much cheesier than when i said it in my head) :peace:
Friday: Intern Dana-Welcome to Night Vale (100% done)
Saturday: Amy Pond-Impossible Astronaut (100% done)

the future is here and it's about a 100 feet above the arby's

Return to “Can't Sleep, Con Will Eat Me...”