Im scared

Other topics not relating to Youmacon and general conversations.

Moderator: Public Moderators

User avatar
heavens-punisher
Posts: 250
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 1:33 pm
First Anime: either Voltron or Sailor moon
Location: wayne michigan

Im scared

Postby heavens-punisher » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:46 pm

hi everyone I'm using my friends account to post this. my friend has been coming here since 09 and he says that everything is quite safe however this is Detroit and I'm scared. I'm scared I will be pick mugged at night. can anyone say anything that will help ease my mind? my friend really wants me to go but I'm not sure since I am so scared. Like if you sen con goer being mugged would yoi help?
Image

User avatar
Richard
Posts: 623
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:57 pm
First Anime: おとぎマンガカレンダー
Location: Lansing, MI
Contact:

Re: Im scared

Postby Richard » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:44 pm

I've never even seen a black person at Youmacon.

User avatar
Ama-chan
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:18 am
First Anime: Rurouni Kenshin
Location: Lincoln Park, MI

Re: Im scared

Postby Ama-chan » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:59 pm

Richard wrote:I've never even seen a black person at Youmacon.


Okay, rude stereotype, and completely uncalled for. Seriously. Not trying to flame, just saying. Also, I've seen African Americans at the con, in full cosplay, and they enjoyed the con just as much as anyone else.


Anyway, friend of heavens-punisher, the neighborood the con is in is quite safe, which is why a lot of conventions happen in that hotel. Other places, such as the casino, are in the area, if that makes you know just how much the area is trusted to be safe for guests to the area. I've never had trouble around there, and Detroit is actually a bit safer then you've probably been told, or have seen in the news. Trust me, I actually grew up in Detroit before I moved out. And if you still feel cautious and/or nervous in the area, just don't go out while it is dark, and stay in a group of other con-goers. Its actually very easy to do that, since a lot of people will be going where you are going, and probably at the same time you are going there. Its a ton safer in groups then alone. Also, if you use the people mover, you don't even really need to leave the Ren Cen and Cobo Hall, depending on where you room.

I hope this has helped ease your mind, and I hope you enjoy your con-going experience~
2012: Misaki-Kaichou wa Maid-sama/Pikachu-Pokemon/L-Death Note
2013: Derpy Hooves-MLP:FiM/Pikachu-Pokemon

User avatar
heavens-punisher
Posts: 250
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 1:33 pm
First Anime: either Voltron or Sailor moon
Location: wayne michigan

Re: Im scared

Postby heavens-punisher » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:48 am

Ama-chan wrote:
Richard wrote:I've never even seen a black person at Youmacon.


Okay, rude stereotype, and completely uncalled for. Seriously. Not trying to flame, just saying. Also, I've seen African Americans at the con, in full cosplay, and they enjoyed the con just as much as anyone else.


Anyway, friend of heavens-punisher, the neighborood the con is in is quite safe, which is why a lot of conventions happen in that hotel. Other places, such as the casino, are in the area, if that makes you know just how much the area is trusted to be safe for guests to the area. I've never had trouble around there, and Detroit is actually a bit safer then you've probably been told, or have seen in the news. Trust me, I actually grew up in Detroit before I moved out. And if you still feel cautious and/or nervous in the area, just don't go out while it is dark, and stay in a group of other con-goers. Its actually very easy to do that, since a lot of people will be going where you are going, and probably at the same time you are going there. Its a ton safer in groups then alone. Also, if you use the people mover, you don't even really need to leave the Ren Cen and Cobo Hall, depending on where you room.

I hope this has helped ease your mind, and I hope you enjoy your con-going experience~
well heavens and his friend from new york booked a room like a mile and a half from the con. so there will be walking late at night. thats the time im afraid of. im not so worried about early morning to dusk its at night im scared of.
Image

User avatar
Richard
Posts: 623
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:57 pm
First Anime: おとぎマンガカレンダー
Location: Lansing, MI
Contact:

Re: Im scared

Postby Richard » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:12 pm

You get shook pretty easily for someone that is a friend to

HEAVEN'S

PUNISHER.

User avatar
Ama-chan
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:18 am
First Anime: Rurouni Kenshin
Location: Lincoln Park, MI

Re: Im scared

Postby Ama-chan » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:28 pm

If you stay in a group, or at least walk with 2-3+ people, you should be okay. Make sure to walk along the main roads, no alley ways, and try to avoid side streets, if possible. This is both for safety and ease of mind. I doubt anything will happen to you, but its always good to avoid trouble if at all possible. Better safe then sorry, right?

What hotel are you staying at, anyway? You may be able to get the people mover there, if the extended hours hold up, or take the... Skywalk? Whatever that is called. That would keep you off the streets entirely. Though again, its unlikely anything will happen, since the area is quite safe.
2012: Misaki-Kaichou wa Maid-sama/Pikachu-Pokemon/L-Death Note
2013: Derpy Hooves-MLP:FiM/Pikachu-Pokemon

User avatar
Crumple
Posts: 1963
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 11:04 pm
First Anime: オナニーマスター黒沢
Location: (-ε- )
Contact:

Re: Im scared

Postby Crumple » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:55 pm

A homeless man once tried to fist bump me in Detroit after telling me, "You cross the road like one of us black folk!"

I shot him in self-defense.
Image

User avatar
heavens-punisher
Posts: 250
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 1:33 pm
First Anime: either Voltron or Sailor moon
Location: wayne michigan

Re: Im scared

Postby heavens-punisher » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:59 pm

Ama-chan wrote:If you stay in a group, or at least walk with 2-3+ people, you should be okay. Make sure to walk along the main roads, no alley ways, and try to avoid side streets, if possible. This is both for safety and ease of mind. I doubt anything will happen to you, but its always good to avoid trouble if at all possible. Better safe then sorry, right?

What hotel are you staying at, anyway? You may be able to get the people mover there, if the extended hours hold up, or take the... Skywalk? Whatever that is called. That would keep you off the streets entirely. Though again, its unlikely anything will happen, since the area is quite safe.

they booked a room at this place called the seashore Motor Inn
Image

User avatar
Richard
Posts: 623
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:57 pm
First Anime: おとぎマンガカレンダー
Location: Lansing, MI
Contact:

Re: Im scared

Postby Richard » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:36 am

Seashore? Don't stay there UNLESS you want to be swimming with the fishes.

User avatar
Radman
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:29 pm
First Anime: DBZ
Location: Reese, Michigan

Re: Im scared

Postby Radman » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:08 pm

I never wanna stay in Detroit longer then I have to. The first time I went there, I took a ride on the tram, and by my feet was a switchblade. :?
But I think as long as you stay close to the center and don't wander into the half-dead Motor City, you'll be fine.

User avatar
FenRir TenHoor
Platinum Attendee
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:16 am
First Anime: Salior Moon

Re: Im scared

Postby FenRir TenHoor » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:52 am

heavens-punisher wrote:
Ama-chan wrote:If you stay in a group, or at least walk with 2-3+ people, you should be okay. Make sure to walk along the main roads, no alley ways, and try to avoid side streets, if possible. This is both for safety and ease of mind. I doubt anything will happen to you, but its always good to avoid trouble if at all possible. Better safe then sorry, right?

What hotel are you staying at, anyway? You may be able to get the people mover there, if the extended hours hold up, or take the... Skywalk? Whatever that is called. That would keep you off the streets entirely. Though again, its unlikely anything will happen, since the area is quite safe.

they booked a room at this place called the seashore Motor Inn


Shorecrest Motor Inn? I have been going to that hotel the entire time I've gone to Youmacon. Its a very nice hotel, considering it is in the heart of Detroit and the price you pay (CHEAP). Its like three blocks from the Ren Cen. and one of those blocks is ducking into a parking garage that connects to the Ren Cen. When you walk into the front office it does kinda give you a bad vibe, but I've never had a single problem with the hotel itself. The only problem I had was when I went back to change (after dark, and still I was fine) was that the door to the Ren Cen was locked on my way trying to get back in. But there is usually some one hanging out by the doors facing Canada that will let you in.
Image

User avatar
heavens-punisher
Posts: 250
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 1:33 pm
First Anime: either Voltron or Sailor moon
Location: wayne michigan

Re: Im scared

Postby heavens-punisher » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:30 pm

FenRir TenHoor wrote:
heavens-punisher wrote:
Ama-chan wrote:If you stay in a group, or at least walk with 2-3+ people, you should be okay. Make sure to walk along the main roads, no alley ways, and try to avoid side streets, if possible. This is both for safety and ease of mind. I doubt anything will happen to you, but its always good to avoid trouble if at all possible. Better safe then sorry, right?

What hotel are you staying at, anyway? You may be able to get the people mover there, if the extended hours hold up, or take the... Skywalk? Whatever that is called. That would keep you off the streets entirely. Though again, its unlikely anything will happen, since the area is quite safe.

they booked a room at this place called the seashore Motor Inn


Shorecrest Motor Inn? I have been going to that hotel the entire time I've gone to Youmacon. Its a very nice hotel, considering it is in the heart of Detroit and the price you pay (CHEAP). Its like three blocks from the Ren Cen. and one of those blocks is ducking into a parking garage that connects to the Ren Cen. When you walk into the front office it does kinda give you a bad vibe, but I've never had a single problem with the hotel itself. The only problem I had was when I went back to change (after dark, and still I was fine) was that the door to the Ren Cen was locked on my way trying to get back in. But there is usually some one hanging out by the doors facing Canada that will let you in.
yeah its shorecrest lol my mistake. three blocks doesnt sound bad :angel: and if i travel with my group or another group then im gonna assume ill be mugger safe
Image

User avatar
Noah
Posts: 354
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:11 pm
First Anime: dbz
Location: West Bloomfield, MI
Contact:

Re: Im scared

Postby Noah » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:48 am

This is the safe part of detroit. End of woodward, right by the river. It's got freakin skyscrappers for miles. I've walked around at night, used the people mover by myself no problem. You get on through the Highway or it's a straight shot from woodward. You never even come near the bad areas.

There is nothing to worry about. You have to go miles away if you want high crime and gangs.

User avatar
MochiFlavoredRamen
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:11 pm
First Anime: Sailor Moon, DBZ
Location: Dearborn, Michigan

Re: Im scared

Postby MochiFlavoredRamen » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:06 am

I was born in Detroit and I live in it. I will admit that I was also afraid about wondering around Detroit by myself and such. But it wasn't scary and of course if anything happens someone will jump in to help you. You'll be fine. But it's always best to have someone with you.
Youma Cosplays 2015
- Homura Akemi (Madoka Magica) 100%
-Noodle (Gorillaz)30%
-Ellie (The Last Of Us) 20%

User avatar
JuuriaBizarre
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:00 pm
First Anime: Millennium Snow

Re: Im scared

Postby JuuriaBizarre » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:20 pm

It's downtown Detroit, so the risk is similar to almost anywhere else. I've been going to Youma and that general area for years now, and I have seen or heard about anything happening. Plus, there are plenty of employees and congoers surrounding the building and outward. If you're really scared just walk in groups and/or rush to your car and lock it.


Return to “Can't Sleep, Con Will Eat Me...”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest