gled offensively during t

Forum-wide announcements posted by staff.

Moderator: Public Moderators

panxing18
First Anime: panxing

gled offensively during t

Postby panxing18 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:02 pm

Falcons coach Dan Quinn had good reason not to worry about Julio Jones showing up for training camp.

Jones told Quinn weeks ago he'd report on time Rashaad Penny Jersey , even as the wide receiver sought to have his contract renegotiated. A training camp holdout appeared to be Jones' best path to a new deal.

Finally, the Falcons announced close to midnight on Wednesday they'd reached an agreement to renegotiate Jones' deal next year. The news came about 16 hours before Thursday's deadline for players to report.

The Falcons open training camp on Friday.

"I probably didn't feel the same stress that you and the fan base had," Quinn said at a news conference on Thursday. "There were some reports regarding him not coming. I'd known he was coming to camp for a while. That's part of good communication, player to coaches."

The Falcons announced Jones reported before Thursday's 4 p.m. deadline.

Quinn said he spoke with Jones earlier this month when the receiver participated in an annual offseason passing camp in California led by quarterback Matt Ryan.

"It was probably during that time that I felt comfortable he was coming to camp," Quinn said.

The reassurance from Jones was especially important after he did not participate in the Falcons' mandatory minicamp in June.

Quinn and general manager Thomas Dimitroff were in good spirits as they discussed how they avoided the potential distraction of a training camp holdout by one of the team's most prominent players.

It has been a good week for the Falcons' leadership team. Quinn and Dimitroff have new three-year contract extensions, which were announced on Wednesday.

Jones, a two-time All-Pro and five-time Pro Bowl selection, wasn't happy that a flurry of new contracts signed by other top NFL wide receivers moved him down the list of top-paid players at the position.

He is entering the third year of his five-year, $71.5 million contract, including $47 million in guaranteed money.

The Falcons managed to make Jones happy with an undisclosed financial "adjustment" without a dramatic change to their salary cap position for 2018. Dimitroff wouldn't reveal details of the new agreement.

The biggest reward for Jones was the assurance the team will rework his contract following the season. That promise was delivered with more than a handshake.

"Papers are written up, sitting on a desk waiting to be signed," Dimitroff said.

The agreement preserves Dimitroff's flexibility in his efforts to negotiate contract extensions for defensive tackle Grady Jarrett, offensive guard Jake Matthews and safety Ricardo Allen.

The Falcons already agreed to a five-year Joe Thomas Browns Jersey , $150 million extension with quarterback Matt Ryan, the most lucrative deal in NFL history, this offseason.

Ryan's contract and talks with players moving closer to free agency left little financial space to make big changes to Jones' deal before 2019.

"We felt like we came to a good agreement," Dimitroff said. "We were very creative with how we put this together."

Dimitroff said talks with Jones' agent, Jimmy Sexton, were "never contentious at all, at least from our perspective."

Jones is expected to talk with reporters on Friday, when the Falcons have their first practice of training camp. He was not seen during the 30-minute period reporters were able to view players reporting to the team's practice facility.

Jones' teammates seemed to have little concern about the status of the team's top receiver.

"Oh, I don't know what's going on with him," offensive guard Andy Levitre said when asked about the team's agreement with Jones. "He's coming? I'm expecting everybody to be here, I guess."

Added cornerback Brian Poole: "That's exciting. That's definitely exciting. Yeah. That's exciting."

Poole said players don't get involved in teammates' contract talks.

"When it comes to that kind of stuff, everybody kind of worries about himself," Poole said.

But when it comes to Quinn and Dimitroff DJ Chark Youth Jersey , having one of the league's top receivers on the practice field is crucial to the team's hopes for a third straight playoff appearance.

"I sleep a hell of a lot better at night," Quinn said.

CHICAGO — At times this season, the Chicago Cubs have struggled to produce offensively, especially when it comes to situational hitting that turned hits into runs.

But as the Cubs prepare to open a brief two-game series against the Detroit Tigers on Tuesday at Wrigley Field, any concerns about run production seems to have subsided. At least for now.

The Cubs will carry a four-game winning streak into Tuesday after producing 46 runs during their winning streak, which they extended with an 11-10 victory over the Minnesota Twins on Sunday.

Although the bullpen struggled to protect leads at times, the Cubs’ bats did more than their fair share. Now, the Cubs will attempt to remain hot against the Tigers, who have won two straight but have lost 11 of their last 13 games.

The Tigers beat the Toronto Blue Jays 3-2 on Monday.

After Sunday’s victory, the Cubs found themselves leading the majors in hitting (.266) and on-base percentage (.345). Despite the times this season when the hits weren’t coming, the Cubs haven’t experienced any change in confidence now that they’re averaging more than 10 per game in their last four games.

“We’ve been the same offense for quite some time now,” Cubs left fielder Kyle Schwarber said Sunday, according to the Chicago Tribune. “Things happen. We’re just going to keep this going.”

Cubs pitchers have enjoyed plenty of run support of late Vita Vea Jersey , which is something Tuesday’s starter, Kyle Hendricks, wouldn’t mind seeing continue against the Tigers. Hendricks (5-8, 4.21 ERA) has experienced inconsistency this season and has battled his mechanics all the way through.

Hendricks went 1-4 in June and is coming off an outing in which he allowed a season-worst six runs in just 2 2/3 innings on June 27 against the Los Angeles Dodgers.

He hopes to right the ship in a new month against a team that has struggled offensively during their recent skid. Hendricks will face the Tigers for the first time in his career.

“I’m just searching right now — it’s just bad,” Hendricks told reporters after his last start, according to the team’s official website. “Mechanics, I’m trying to focus mentally and going pitch to pitch and I’m doing that, but something’s just off. I’m searching now.”

The Tigers’ back-to-back victories come after their losing streak reached a season-high 11 games. With Miguel Cabrera out for the season and other veterans like Victor Martinez struggling at the plate, manager Ron Gardenhire has been forced to work with a lineup full of young hitters.

Before snapping the skid with a victory Sunday over the Blue Jays, the Tigers finished June hitting .222.

“We’ve had a lot of struggles offensively, for sure,” Gardenhire said Sunday, according to the Detroit Free Press. “I think our pitching has held up OK. (The) bullpen had its good and bad moments. Offensively Connor Williams Jersey , we’ve really scuffled, especially the past couple week here. We all know that. Offensively, we have to get a lot better. More consistently.”

On Monday, the Tigers placed closer Shane Greene on the 10-day disabled list with a right shoulder strain. Joe Jimenez, who is considered the Tigers’ closer of the future, will move into the role for the time being, Gardenhire said. Jiménez has a 2.77 ERA, 44 strikeouts and nine walks in 42 appearances covering 39 innings.

Michael Fulmer (3-7, 4.20) will start Tuesday for the Tigers. Like Hendricks, Fulmer struggled in June, losing three of his five starts with a no-decision. Fulmer will face the Cubs for the first time in his career.

Return to “General Announcements”